Thinking Of Purchasing A Refurbished 24 Inch Imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by beeinformed, Dec 14, 2010.

1. beeinformed macrumors 6502

Hello!

I am thinking of purchasing a refurbished 24 inch Imac from the Apple Store (when it becomes available).

I wear glasses and I think a screen size of 24 inches or larger would better suit my needs.

Could anyone please tell me the differences between the 24 and the 27 inch screen (I know that the 27 inch screen has led-backlight), in terms of brightness and contrast?

I would appreciate any feedback/info regarding the differences in brightness and contrast between the 24 and 27 inch model and if it is not too much of a difference, I would prefer to go with the 24 inch model.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Text will be bigger and easier to read on the 24" screen due to the lower dpi of the display.
    The 27" will be brighter, but my 24" is too bright as is for me. It's all a matter of personal preference, plus, it's adjustable.

3. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Screen brightness can always be adjusted

4. asdf542 macrumors 6502

1) 27" has a resolution of 2560x1440, 24" has a resolution of 1920x1200
    2) 27" has 108 PPI, 24" has 94 PPI (text and other elements will be larger on the 24")
    3) 27" iMac has an LED backlight with a typical brightness of 375 cd/m², 24" iMac has a CCFL backlight with a typical brightness of 385 cd/m²
    4) 27" iMac has a contrast ratio of 1000:1, 24" iMac has a contrast ratio of 750:1

Pretty sure those are all of the differences.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

With due respect are 24" iMacs even available at all on the refurb store? I don't recall seeing one in months however I haven't looked that hard either.

6. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Saw a 3ghz 24" a few days ago. Also saw a 2.4ghz alu MacBook. Those haven't been sold for a while either!

7. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I can definitely recommend the 27" screen as one that is just wonderful to look at. It's hard to describe how other screens pale in comparison.

You say you wear glasses...so I want to caution you to get a first hand look at the iMac screens and use them a little bit before you commit. If you are an older person like me, or you have a correction that is a very negative diopter, you might have trouble adjusting to the fact that OSX does not have a Windows-like large fonts option.

If you have trouble with not having a large fonts option, then you will have to get used to zooming the windows (Safari zooms perfectly well using the Magic Trackpad), or finding some application like TinkerTool that will let you change some font sizes.

If you're on a 27" screen, you'll also find that you can quickly switch between 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 temporarily to alter the work environment. You won't want to be at anything other than the native resolution permanently, however, because once you get used to the perfectly crisp text, nothing else will work for you.

The final solution is going to be for Apple to break down and have a large fonts option that automatically corrects tables and windows to suit a 125% or 150% font size adjustment.

:)