Thinking of removing my screen protector. Need help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ajohnson253, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have been using my anti glare screen protector for a while now.
    I just miss having the clear bright colors popping out at me instead of this matte look to the screen. Seems like the color is taken away and I know that this iPhone has a beautiful screen. I know there is a fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating but I also know that it wears off and makes the screen look odd in some places. I am just torn between if I want to put my phone in the open to be scratched and enjoy the color of my screen or protecting my phone but losing the beauty of the display. :confused:

Some input would help me make my decision if you guys would be so kind. :eek:

Appreciate it,
    AJ

2. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Ive had both iPhones from launch, no screen protectors on either, no scratches whatsoever.

Just use common sense, and keep it in a pocket by itself.

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Wow I just took off the protector and the phone feels amazing now. I don't remember it looking so good. I'm definitely leaving the screen naked this screens beautiful.
    Tomorrow most likely I'll be heading to apple or my local best buy to get a sleeve or something that I can always slip my phone into.

4. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

The only thing that I am concerned about it the coating that comes with the 3GS screen.
    I hear that it wears off and you can tell visibally. True?

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I gave up on screen protectors awhile ago and I couldn't be happier. The iPhone is a much better experience without it, IMO. Sure you have to be more careful to protect the screen from scratches but it's pretty tough.

I've heard of purported instances of the oleo screen wearing thin hut I haven't seen one in person. Mine is fine and I am touching and swiping all the time.

6. FeelingGood macrumors member

FeelingGood

Film lover for life!

Well, I was considering removing my screen protector as well, the crystal type, which looks exactly as if I have nothing on btw, until 3 days ago, when, while I was doing some geocaching on the stoney bank of a local river, I accidentally missed my back pocket and my iphone fell on the ground, face forward!. :eek:

Once I picked up both my heart and my iphone off the floor, I noticed that the phone had fallen right on top of a small sharp stone that left a deep indent into the film, so deep in fact that it appeared that the indent was in the glass screen itself for a second! argh!! But no, luckily, the film did a marvelous job at taking the blunt of the fall and undeniably saved my glass screen!! There is no doubt in my mind that my screen would've shattered without that film on my screen...

So needless to say, I am now a big and deeply grateful fan... :)

7. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Mine has been naked since launch and I haven't seen any wearing of the screen's coating. I'm a pretty heavy user, too.

8. RollTide1017 macrumors regular

My screen protector only lasted a few days on my 3GS before I ripped it off. It just attracted too many fingerprints and smudges. Going naked has been a much better experience for me and I've been very impressed with the ole-whatever coating.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I too disliked the matte screen protector and removed it. Rather than pay $15 for a crystal film set I decided to go naked. I kept the phone in a pocket by itself. One day I pulled the phone out of my pocket and I guess the screen scratched up against a rivet in my jeans and it left a long gouge. I could see it while watching movies, playing games etc and it was distracting.

A case you can do without, but I'd advise you get a crystal film set if you care about scratches--some people don't I guess. It looks much better than the matte.

10. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

It seems like a 50/50 here huh.
    I think I'm just gonna leave the screen naked and get a vaja case for the protection of the front of the screen or I'll get a sleeve for it that I can always put it in.

11. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

yeah been using my 3gs without a screen protector for months now. I figure I keep upgrading every 1.5 years so might as well enjoy it.

12. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

i am able to manage all finger prints on my screen so i went with the crystal clear. i used to use anti-fingerprint but after awhile i missed having my screen so bright and shiny~ it looks pretty good w/ the crystal clear on.