Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
...of the nasty heat. :mad: My 12" gets scorching hot on my lap, and is very uncomfortable on my wrists. The fan runs half the time when I'm just browsing Macrumors, or checking email or using iChat. And forget about using XPlane, the fan runs at full speed and the small area above the keyboard gets so hot I can't even touch it. I worry the freakin thing is going to catch on fire. I miss my iBook G4 933, which ran much cooler. Do you all think I should do it? Any new 14" owners out there can comment on heat issues with your new machines?

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
aquajet said:
...of the nasty heat. :mad: My 12" gets scorching hot on my lap, and is very uncomfortable on my wrists. The fan runs half the time when I'm just browsing Macrumors, or checking email or using iChat. And forget about using XPlane, the fan runs at full speed and the small area above the keyboard gets so hot I can't even touch it. I worry the freakin thing is going to catch on fire. I miss my iBook G4 933, which ran much cooler. Do you all think I should do it? Any new 14" owners out there can comment on heat issues with your new machines?

how come you want to replace you 12" PB with a 14"IB instead of 12" IB?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I'm quite worried about this heat you talk about! Do you have one of the powerbooks which can have its battery replaced for free... cos your battery may be causing the overheating! Seriously 'too hot to handle" is NOT good.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
VA
AcousticDoc said:
how come you want to replace you 12" PB with a 14"IB instead of 12" IB?

I'm very farsighted, so it's much easier on the eyes. That's another reason why I miss my iBook.

My battery serial number isn't in the range for the recall, but it still gets pretty hot, so who knows...

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
aquajet said:
I'm very farsighted, so it's much easier on the eyes. That's another reason why I miss my iBook.

My battery serial number isn't in the range for the recall, but it still gets pretty hot, so who knows...

This is DEFINITELY not normal. Assuming it is still under warranty/applecare you should take it to an apple store to have a genius look at it heat permenantly damages any components!

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I use Targus coolpad (which is powered by USB) for my 12" PB and it never gets hot. Even after running CS2 and other programs for a while, the notebook is only slightly luke warm to my touches.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
For general surfing, emails, etc, my PB rarely gets hot to the touch. And the fan hardly turns on. Try turning on Activity Monitor and see what is eating CPU cycles. Your situation is unusual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.