Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshlalonde

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Canada
I love OS X a lot, but I tend to like to change things around..
I want to know what would happen if I ended up removing my OS X partition and replacing it with a Linux Distro. I will not be dual-booting or using a VM.

Will I be able to re-install OS X afterwards? Or would I have to somehow re-install from USB? Or perhaps the recovery partition, if left untouched, can be used to re-install OS X?

So, first part is whether or not I can undo it if I don't like the Linux distro.

Second thing,
I don't like GRUB, but apparently I can't use that anyways since of EFI.
What boot loader would I be using? I believe the boot loader looked much like the OS X boot loader when you hold Alt.

This is all on a Macbook Air 13" 2014.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You can always reinstall OS X. GRUB does support EFI and you may want to use that to avoid unnecessary problems.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Keep your recovery partition, just to simplify the re-install of OSX if you choose to go back,

I ran with Linux for a while, but I returned to OS X due to a lack of apps that I needed.

Good luck, using Linux and learning new things was fun, and I miss playing around like that.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Keep your recovery partition, just to simplify the re-install of OSX if you choose to go back,

I ran with Linux for a while, but I returned to OS X due to a lack of apps that I needed.

Good luck, using Linux and learning new things was fun, and I miss playing around like that.
Though, it would be a lot faster to reinstall from a flash drive.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Though, it would be a lot faster to reinstall from a flash drive.

I doubt you'd see the OS X install from a USB flash drive be faster than from the internal SSD. The internal SSD on the 13" Air is capable of about 600MB/s write and 1200MB/s read.

Even though USB 3.0 is rated at 625MB/s, I think the fastest USB 3.0 flash drive is in the 200-300MB/s range, but I haven't kept up on that.

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
I doubt you'd see the OS X install from a USB flash drive be much faster, if any, than from the internal SSD.
I’m pretty sure the recovery option just has it download the installer and then run that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.