Thinking of replacing OS X with Linux

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by joshlalonde, Feb 27, 2015.

1. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

I love OS X a lot, but I tend to like to change things around..
    I want to know what would happen if I ended up removing my OS X partition and replacing it with a Linux Distro. I will not be dual-booting or using a VM.

Will I be able to re-install OS X afterwards? Or would I have to somehow re-install from USB? Or perhaps the recovery partition, if left untouched, can be used to re-install OS X?

So, first part is whether or not I can undo it if I don't like the Linux distro.

Second thing,
    I don't like GRUB, but apparently I can't use that anyways since of EFI.
    What boot loader would I be using? I believe the boot loader looked much like the OS X boot loader when you hold Alt.

This is all on a Macbook Air 13" 2014.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can always reinstall OS X. GRUB does support EFI and you may want to use that to avoid unnecessary problems.

3. joshlalonde thread starter macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

To reinstall, do I just use the recovery mode?

Also, any way I can make GRUB look pretty :/

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use Internet Recovery. GRUB can be themed to look like nearly anything.

5. doynton macrumors 6502

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Keep your recovery partition, just to simplify the re-install of OSX if you choose to go back,

I ran with Linux for a while, but I returned to OS X due to a lack of apps that I needed.

Good luck, using Linux and learning new things was fun, and I miss playing around like that.

7. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

Though, it would be a lot faster to reinstall from a flash drive.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

I doubt you'd see the OS X install from a USB flash drive be faster than from the internal SSD. The internal SSD on the 13" Air is capable of about 600MB/s write and 1200MB/s read.

Even though USB 3.0 is rated at 625MB/s, I think the fastest USB 3.0 flash drive is in the 200-300MB/s range, but I haven't kept up on that.

9. jblagden macrumors 6502a

jblagden

I’m pretty sure the recovery option just has it download the installer and then run that.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

You might be correct. I haven't done that in years.