Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Hi all,
I currently own a 15" MacBook Pro. I use it for graphic design, web design, schoolwork, music production, and video editing. Here are the specs:

15" MacBook Pro @ 1440x900 resolution
2.4 GHz Core i5
4 GB Ram
320 GB Hard drive

Here is the problem - I HATE the resolution! I originally bought a refurbished one that was upgraded to this new one for free (thanks apple!) but I absolutely hate not having the extra screen space! I also don't like how hot this thing gets and I don't really love doing design and editing on a laptop. So I've come up with a couple solutions:

1. Sell the MacBook Pro and buy a used iMac (thinking a used 24 inch maybe?) and then buy a used white MacBook

2. Sell the MacBook Pro and buy a refurbished i3 iMac

3. Buy an external monitor and deal with it

What seems like the best option to you guys? Any input is appreciated. If you recommend a display, what ones are good for what I do? I don't have much money to spend, as I am a student and not able to work. Thanks!

Krad3130

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Winter Park, FL
Hmmmmm...

I am actually debating selling my MBP 15 as well. I am getting ready to go to school shortly on computer programing or design (Not sure which yet) and I want to get an iMac. I don't know if I will have a need for both an iMac and a MBP so I was thinking of selling the MBP and purchasing an iMac and an iPad 2 when it finally comes out for the portability factor.

My only thing about selling this laptop is that it has been the BEST computer I have ever owned and I don't know if I can bring myself to selling this.

I know that I am going to wind up breaking down and buying an iMac 27 inch here pretty soon and the money I would get from the MBP would certainly help...just don't know what to do?

I also know I am going to want to have the bigger screen space for when I am working (What ever it is I will be doing for work).

To the OP I would say purchase an iMac. They are beautiful machines and the power is more then a MBP. If you purchase an ACD you are limited to the power of your laptop (Which is the exact one I have and it is VERY NICE) but the iMac is a more powerful machine.

chris98vf

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
You can sell it on eBay and probably do well if you bundle the software CD's that came with it and take good pictures of it from all angles. I've seen good Mac's go for cheap because the guy didn't take good pics or not have the CD's.

Another option is to buy a mount for the laptop. It will hold the macbook up on it's side and you connect an external monitor to it. Use Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and it's just like a desktop then. Use any monitor size you see fit and when you're ready to get up and go it can come with you. Best of both worlds...

Someone kick me in the shins when you see me for using the phrase "best of both worlds" ugh...

T-bag

Jan 20, 2011
I feel like we have a similar situation, and here are my outcome after a lot of thinking.

I've been using a 13" MB late 2008 for all my computer needs the last few years. I took the leap and ordered an iMac last week. If I'm happy with it I'll keep both machines. I too find my laptop to have been my best computer so far, and wont sell for anything. If iMac isn't for me, I'll return it and get a more powerful 15 or 17 MBP when the new ones arrive. Then the MB I have today will be sold. :)

Of the three alternatives you posted I would stick with the MBP if your school situation requires you to be portable. At least if you find it powerful enough, just get a external monitor. If not get an iMac in some way. :)

theking79

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
i'd keep the laptop personally, so i would recommend you buy a good display, all depends on how much money you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.