Thinking of selling iMac for MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erasr, Jun 19, 2010.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Hi,

Basically, I want opinions, mainly because I like reassurance!

I have a 24" iMac 2.93 4gb and while I do use it every day, I just don't think I 'need' that much power. What a waste!

I bought it because I thought I'd be playing more high end games, but I think I've grown out of most of that now. I am looking forward to CSS mind.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having the ability to move around with a Mac, even at home and sometimes taking to work (going self employed soon hopefully).

I use my iMac right now JUST for the net, a bit of iWeb stuff and small amount of iGarage. Maybe some Football Manager too.

- Do I really need it?? It's screen size is great, very comfortable, but I was very close to buying an iPad which would then make the iMac nearly unused!

- I love the look of the MBP 13" for it's potential portability and the fact I only use the web, iWeb (could be great on the go) and FM10.
    Would you agree it's a good idea to sell the iMac and go for the MBP?

2. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

If portability is a must, then I'd say go for a mbp. You can hook it up to an external display and you got yourself a mac mini that can be taken any where.

3. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

If you think you want the portability then go ahead. Having an external monitor at home will be a great compromise too.

4. ihonda macrumors 68000

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Sounds like a MBP would be more beneficial in your case. I say go for it!

6. Reapur macrumors regular

7. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it also has the 130 graphics card, not 120, so I think a fair price is around£950.

Thanks for the replies, I do think the I made a mistake in getting the iMac. For anyone that's wondering whether to get an iMac or MBP, I'd say look at what might happen in the future, it's highly likely you might need portability.

I do love the 24" screen but I don't even use it to it's potential. Half the screen is free and out of use!

I think it'd be the 13" because I've tried out a 15" before and think it could be too large to move around a lot. I think a 13" MBP and an iPad would be the awesome combination. I actually believe it would counter the need for a big external monitor, because an iPad can be viewed at any angle and close to your eyes.