Thinking of selling Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applemacman, Dec 1, 2009.

1. applemacman macrumors member

applemacman

Thinking of maybe selling my current Mac Pro and possible looking at an alternative setup (desktop/laptop).

Need advice regarding the starting price and bottom line for the mac pro. What should I expect to get for my current setup. It's hard to judge since it's not the current/previous gen and has a few extras.

The setup I would sell is as follows:

Mac Pro 3,1 (Jan 08)
    2.8 Quad Intel Xeon
    2 GB RAM (I know, I know)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    ~1.5TB (320GB,250GB,1TB)
    WiFi/Bluetooth
    Snow Leopard
    20" ACD
    Wireless Keyboard/Magic Mouse

I would most likely sell locally on craigslist or ebay if absolutely necessary.

Locally where I am and taking into account some comparatives my guess is the following:

I figure $220-300 for the ADC +$80-100 for KB/M = $350 (300-400)
    +
    Mac Pro anywhere from ~$2250-2500
    =
    $2550-2900

Sold all together perhaps start the listing at ~$2600-2800 and take no less ~$2300-2400

Am I off in these figures?

Thoughts as to what I could reasonably get for it? What should my starting price be and the absolute lowest I should sell?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Your Computer is a
    Mac Pro Xeon QuadCore 2.80 GHz 2048 / 1000 GB / superdrive
    The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
    $ 1,840

Not sure where the extra $$ comes in?

You have a brand new Magic Mouse? Or is that a Mighty Mouse?

Id probably sell the ACD separate.

I know you think it should be worth more, but the 27" i5/i7 iMacs have put a pretty big dent in the used Macpro market...

For $1850 (i5) or $2200 (i7) Im getting a much larger and better screen, more ram, faster video and a 1 year warranty.

Who knows, you might get lucky, but IMHO, $2200 might be the tops

3. applemacman thread starter macrumors member

applemacman

The new iMac with the i5 or i7 is what I'm considering replacing it with along with a Macbook Pro. I know what you are saying about the new iMac's hurting the Mac Pro's. Gizmodo posted an article about that....which added to me wanting something new/different.

I was thinking that selling the ADC separate would be better/easier.

The mouse is the new magic mouse. (if I get the new iMac it comes with one :))

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

you have to be insane to pay over $2000 for any used computer. for the price you want i can build a hackintosh for half the price with parts that are going to work with no issues and it will be a lot more powerful

5. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

Guaranteeing there won't be any issues with hackintosh is a very foolish statement.

A: ensuring you get the same firmware revision/release as others have in the hackintosh is very difficult.

B: All you have is someones word that it works, to what degree and the reliability of it is definitely always 'suck it and see'.

It's not insane to pay the going rate for a second hand machine... Particularly a macpro which has a very long lifespan and is built using xeon processors, and consevative North & south bridge components. They are rocks for a reason, their designed to run and run.

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'm skeptical of these quotes. Mac2Sell quotes my computer at about $200, which is what a reseller is willing to pay for it. But that same reseller is reselling machines matching mine for nearly $600, and they're going for $500 on Craigslist.

FWIW.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.66GHz current gen quad-core is 2149$ from refurb store... So you can't get more than 2000$ from MP but with display ~2250$

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you can sell it locally, take the cash and run.

If you have to ship it, you might lose ... unless you have the original box. Then getting scammed is the biggest threat.

Bump the memory in yours and you'd likely get a nifty performance boost for $75-99.

Otherwise, you just get a larger HD and snazzy new screen, and a machine about the same performance wise.

iMac Core i7 versus other Macs

Note: As apps take more advantage of all the cores (and the virtual ones) the difference will be felt with the switch to a newer machine architecture, all depends on whether you can find a buyer with low risk to make the jump worthwhile.

9. applemacman thread starter macrumors member

applemacman

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I have been scammed before with Craigslist (PS3).

I have however sold countless items with no problems including a powerbook and macbook pro to name a few. From now on I will be more cautious of course. Hope to post it soon within the month and hopefully sell.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I would just keep the MP. Put more ram in it and buy whatever laptop you want. No point in selling the MP for another desktop mac if this one meets your needs. From only having 2GB of ram in it, I would guess it does everything you want or else you would have put more ram in it.

What is it an imac will do the mac pro won't? Bigger screen? Buy another monitor.

Plus later down the road you can put in another cpu for a dual quad core. The extra HD space and ram slots are nice as well.