Thinking of selling MacBook Pro for a new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g808, Feb 15, 2008.

1. g808 macrumors regular

I have the Rev A 17" MBP from April 2006 w/ 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD. I'm thinking of selling it as I see them going for upwards of $1000 on eBay now, and using that to get a new MacBook 2.2GHz w/ 4GB RAM. The only difference between the MBP and MB these days seems to be the video horsepower, which I really don't need in a laptop. This seems like a trade up to me minus the video power that I don't think I need.

The most I'd want to do is capture screencasts w/ something like Screenflow. These apps seem to take a lot of horsepower, but does it take a good GPU? Does this seem like a good fit for me?

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Going from a 17 inch screen to 13 inch would be difficult if you're used to the space

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I dont think there is that much difference in the screen resolution although yes the macbook seems to have condensed more into the small screen.
    I dont do much video work on my macbook 2.2ghz 4gb ram, use it for iphoto and imovie and it does this pretty fast.

If you have a liking for the smaller macbook then get a good price on your pro and get a macbook. I play games on my 360 so the macbook is a pure application workhorse :)

4. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I think you seem like you're fine with trading for the Macbook. If you don't need the video power and are fine with a smaller screen, then I say go for it.

5. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Go for it if you're happy with the trade-off, but i'm with gazfocus.. No chance in hell i'd trade 4" of real-estate for marginally more power. Why not just whack another 2gb in your MBP?

6. g808 thread starter macrumors regular

My MBP version is older and only supports 2GB RAM and it uses a Core Duo, not the newer Core 2 Duo, which seems noticeably faster, especially for tasks like encoding media. Doubling the RAM would help too since I run XP in VMWare for work. I've seen the MacBooks at the Apple Store and I think I can handle the real estate loss.

Anyone know if MacBooks handle fullscreen captures via screencast software alright, or does it need more GPU?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Do it. Going from a 17" to a 13" was one of the best computing decisions I ever made. I've owned two 17" laptops in the past, and I have no plans to buy any more in the future. On the other hand, I'm quite fine with my 13".