Price Advice Thinking of selling my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GuerillaTech, Jan 26, 2012.

1. GuerillaTech macrumors member

My current MBP is the 13 inch 2009 model; 5,5. I've upgraded the RAM and put a 500 gig 7200 rpm hard drive in it. upgraded to Lion. How much do you guys think the selling price for this is? I want to get a newer 15 inch model, and selling this thing will make it so much easier on my wallet when i do so. :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of equivalent models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Assuming it is the 2.26 GHz C2D, probably around $550-600 or so.

Look on Craigslist to see what machines like yours are listed for, and look at eBay's completed listings.

When you list it, make sure you provide a good description and a couple of good pictures. Say whether you have the box, restore discs, etc.

Also know that there are usually a number of the i5 13" MBPs floating around, and they're roughly twice as fast (on benchmarks, at least), and will still be under some sort of factory warranty. That has really hurt the resale value of the Core 2 Duo MBPs (and not just the 13" models).

Mac2Sell and Amazon are OK starting points, but it's like the blue book with cars - the blue book can't hand you cash or write you a check. And the prices on both are not actual selling prices - and on Amazon in particular, some of the used prices are nothing short of outrageous.

4. kjmff5, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

kjmff5 macrumors regular

Big thing to know is where is your market? For example I sold my 2.26 MBP 13" with the only upgrade of 4GB of RAM for $1000 May 2011 in San Diego about 2 hrs after putting it on Craigslist. But I was there visiting m family. If I tried to sell it in Kansas City, where I live, I probably would not have been able to do so well...

Tips are just be honest, include as much originals as you can, and hope for the best considering the C2D are out of date now.

Good luck!

PS good choice for an upgrade :)

5. andymodem macrumors 6502a

I sold my 2009 13.3" 2.26GHz MBP with 8GB RAM and a 500GB HDD with Lion for $750 on eBay a week ago.

6. emac82 macrumors 6502

Mac2Sell suggested I sell my MacBook for $350 CAD, and I sold it for $450...Probably could've gotten $500..

My wasn't a pro, it was a Late 2006 model MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz /w 2GB Ram, 320GB Hard Drive, original box, etc /w Tiger, Leopard, and Snow Leopard...Newer battery (2 years old)...

I know it's not the same model that you are selling, but thought this might help you in some way...

7. GuerillaTech thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice guys. :)
    I've got one more question though.
    I upgraded to Lion from the app store... how would i be able to wipe my data from the comp and keep Lion installed, and not linked to my apple id?
    or should i forgo all the trouble and just reinstall snow leopard when the time comes?

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Reset to factory default to nuke your settings.

http://riactant.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/how-to-reset-mac-os-x-lion-to-factory-default-state/