Thinking of selling my new MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beerglass007, Aug 10, 2008.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi all

I'm thinking of selling my MBP 15" 2.4 4GB 200HDD to buy a 24" Imac 3.06.

I brought the MBP 3 months ago and never taken it outside of the house. I am now thinking I should have brought a Imac.

I have upgraded the ram and brought the apple care for the MBP.

Can anyone tell me how much different the Imac is to the MBP.

I don't game much on the MBP and really like the 20" imac but it doesnt come with the 8800GS card like the 24" 3.06 does.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

So you dont game much, but want the 24" To get the 8800?

Well your MBP will have cost less than the new 3.06Ghz iMac, and expect to lose about $400, so put in about $600, ish.

3. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

update

I walked into the apple store today and decided the 24" isnt for me.
    The screen just seems to big and makes my eye roll from one end to the other.

Its just not for me.

So its a 20" IMAC but these don't have the 8800GS but the ATI 2600 HD PRO.

Is this a better card than my Mac Book Pro 8600GT ?

Should I keep my Mac book pro?

4. trek1500 macrumors member

trek1500

Keep your MBP. I love mine! The portability of it. The fact the it has Leopard, iLife 08...you couldn't ask for a better set up!

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I had my MBP for about 18 months now, it's been a very capable machine, able to cope with all the graphics work I occasionally throw at it, even though it's a little slow at times, though it's only a 2.2! Not even a Penryn.

The thing is dude, the card shouldn't matter if your not playing games. plus the 8600GT is fairly powerful for a laptop... I'd imagine yours even more so cause mine only has 128MB VRAM but it still works just fine!!

I dunno what your gonna be using your MBP for but I'm pretty sure it won't be number crunching for weeks without a break!! If i was you, I'd be giving the MBP a chance maybe you'll learn to like it. If at a later date, you need a bigger display. Well you can just buy one and plug it into the DVI port, it'll support anything, right up to a 30"!

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed. If you need a larger display just get an LCD.

It's up to you if you really want an iMac, but the MBP is a very good machine and you may not need the portability now, but it may come in handy in the future.

7. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

The way they set them up at the stores isnt that way you use your computer at home. You don't stand 2 inches from the screen. You sit, usually pushed back a little and looking up at your screen. I have a 30 inch screen and it's not that bad. Just depends on how you set it up.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with the previous posters. The MBP is a terrific machine, very attractive, powerful, great performance, excellent screen (and yes, you can always get an external monitor if you find that you need one); to a certain extent, the machine is so well made and well featured, that it is somewhat future proofed (and when it is no longer future proofed, simply sell it; people attending school and college are always in the market for reasonably priced Apple products); moreover, it has all of the advantages of portability. I'm a recent switcher and I love mine. Cheers and good luck.