Thinking Of Selling My Rev A And Getting A Rev C

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bowlerman625, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

    bowlerman625

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL area
    #1
    I've had my Rev. A 1.6/80HDD for 10 months now. I'm thinking of selling this on ebay and buying a refurbished Rev. C 2.13/128SSD from Apple ($1549.00). I'm not a power MAC user and primarily use my MBA to surf the web, email, etc. I'm just wondering if I'm wasting money to do this type of thing or will I notice a difference between the 2 different MBAs, even with my lighter use. My Rev. A is in like-new condition by the way.

    When I bought my Rev. A, I had windows xp and parallels installed. I would not do that again on another MBA as I hardly use xp now and it eats a pretty good chunk of HDD space. This was my first mac and though I'm not a power user yet, I feel very comfortable in 10 months to not feel the need to have that MS product on the next MBA.

    I would appreciate any thoughts on whether my proposed switch makes sense or not based on how I use my current MBA and what a refurb Rev. C will cost.

    Thanks for your thoughts!
     
  2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

    ntrigue

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2007
    #2
    They are very different computers. I would encourage you to move forward with your plan. Expect $800-900 on eBay.
     
  3. RayK macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    #3
    Really? $800? for a rev a? Mines a SSD. Maybe I should sell and get me a rev c.....
     
  4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #4
    I would normally say, JUMP! However, I really think we could be seeing a new MBA within a few weeks. Here's the deal - with the last two updates we saw drastic price cuts! I feel Apple will definitely continue with this in the economy. The costs of building the MBA are surely around the same as MacBook Pro 13" and it's cheaper... $999 refurbished. Now, I know the SSD adds price, and maybe it will not pan out, but I would wait if I were anyone just considering NOT NEEDING to buy an MBA now.

    A few thoughts about upgrade potentials...
    More RAM likely.
    More drive space likely, at a surcharge.
    Better display possible.
    Better GPU possible.
    Better battery life possible.
    Thinner form factor possible.

    What would any of those mean for you?

    Now, the 2.13 GHz CPU, 128 GB SSD, and 9400m GPU are a huge difference over the MBA you currently have. The Penryn CPU will run much cooler and more efficient. And 2 GHz is the minimum threshold for real HD playback from some apps like iTunes. 128 GB SSD surely will be a lot faster in SATA-II form than your prior MBA. Most importantly, the 9400m makes the v 2,1 MBA a completely different and truly capable Mac. Pair the Mini Display Port and you can output real HD and run up to a 30" Apple Cinema Display.

    If you're going to do it now, you cannot go wrong with the current rev C compared to the MBA you're coming from. If you can wait, you may be able to get a more powerful MBA if that's what you want... but it will probably come at a higher price tag if you want 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM and that's assuming it happens soon.

    Good luck whatever you do. I really love the MBA with Nvidia GPU. I think you will be truly amazed at just how great of a Mac it is within its super thin form factor and lightweight aluminum shell.
     
  5. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #5
    I've taken that plunge. It is truly a night and day experience. However, right now, I wish I didn't get the SSD because whenever Windows 7 Boots in a virtual machine, everything stalls due to the SSD trying to write and read at 40 mb/s at the same time causing the whole system to stall.
     
  6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #6
    Well, isn't that a compatibility problem with either your Parallels or Fusion and Snow Leopard?

    The SSD is giving you ridiculous speed compared to the slow HDD. Whatever you do, don't blame yourself for getting an SSD. Figure out what you need to do to get your software to work with SSD. Windows 7 and Vista both work with SSDs, so the blame is elsewhere.
     
  7. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #7
    No, the slow down is not a compatibility problem, its actually a limitation to the MLC on the SSD. It happens with every OS, every system (depending on how stressed it is). I've noticed OS X has the best SSD performance compared to Windows or Linux counterparts but running virtual machines, a conventional hard drive would give the best compromising performance between the two.

    Natively, yes, SSD would blow the hard drive out of the water without any effort. Virtually, the SSD plays a small role especially with our limitation on the Ram and CPU.

    The biggest issue is the fact I need to restart/start up the VM more often than putting it to sleep and such. It's a pain to wait literally 5 minutes for the SSD to catch up before moving on because it needs to cache all the ram from system to swap, then read and write at the same time during boot and then some. The SSD, even though its faster than a HDD, does not perform well with small bits of data and random writes any better (sometimes even worse) then a 4200RPM hard drive.

    It's actually very hard to compromise inbetween. Honestly, if there was a 5400 or 7200 rpm hard drive option, I would 99% certainty jump on that over the SSD.

    I only chose the Air over the MB or MBPs because of its size. Its a pain to carry even a 1lbs heavier laptop on my back while riding. 95% of the time, the air does everything I need. the 5%, i just have to be patient.
     
  8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #8
    You can't just use Boot Camp? Do you really need both OSes all the time? I used to think I needed Windows for my one day per month app I run... but I decided my 6yr old Dell worked perfectly for that. I don't care to waste my limited SSD space for Windows.

    Anyways, getting back to your situation... best wishes in a solution.
     
  9. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

    pukifloyd

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2008
    Location:
    Scottsdale
    #9
    I think you should wait for new MBA...maybe there's a price cut or you can buy the current gen refurb air after selling this...it would be awesome;)
     
  10. gooddeal macrumors regular

    gooddeal

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2008
    Location:
    PA
    #10
    I think you should wait also with the way you use your Air. I've had my Air for the last 16 months now and I don't have any issues w/ what I need. The reason I think you shouldn't do it now b/c:

    1. the price of the rev. A is very low already
    2. the rev. C has the same cosmetic as the rev. A
    3. you will loose a lot of money w/ rev. C if Apple changes the outside appearance of the new Air.
     
  11. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #11
    Just an opinion, but if the OP waits until after the new MBAs are released, the value of his Rev A will go down. If I were him, I'd sell now, be without a MBA for a while, and then see what happens. If the news models are compelling, buy that. If not, get a refurbished or clearance Rev C for a discount.

    Just my opinion.
     
  12. ayeying macrumors 601

    ayeying

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    Location:
    Yay Area, CA
    #12
    I could, but its a pain just to reboot into windows for Visual C++ thats why I use a virtual machine.
     
  13. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    #13
    I felt pretty safe after WWDC getting a brand new Rev C but now I'd say to wait. It's been 4 months (which isn't very long) but the MBA is getting long in the tooth.

    However, if it's january and there still hasn't been an update I'd say without a doubt to wait but I think we'll see something soon.
     
  14. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

    bowlerman625

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL area
    #14
    More questions, please bear with me!

    Thank you for the comments thus far. I appreciate them all! Any additional comments are very much appreciated!

    I'm very impatient when it comes to my technology toys......don't know if I can wait...lol....still thinking here....

    Since I've never bought refurbished from Apple before....a few questions in case I do decide to move forward with my plans:

    1. Do the Apple retail stores sell refurb Macs or are they only available online?

    2. What kind of condition are these Apple refurb machines in? Any marks or scratches on the exterior? I'm very fussy about my electronic things and how they look. My current MBA looks brand spankin new from the outside still. I would be disappointed if the refurb MBA would be marked up or beat up. Any one want to comment on their refurb experience with Apple and how their products looked?

    Thanks again gang!

    Mike
     
  15. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #15
    1. No, Apple retail stores do not sell refurbished.

    2. The refurbished Macs are like new. They are usually open box returns, I suspect. If there is anything wrong they fix completely replace any aluminum parts with dings and etc. Most were manufactured within a few weeks when people run their refurb serials. Expect same as new with brand new battery and perfect. Also gets same full year warranty as new.

    I wouldn't hesitate at all. I just usually buy new because when just released there are no refurbs for sale. On average takes a few months. I have purchased three 24" LED Apple Cinema Displays refurbished and all three seemed 100% new. It's a great system for the MBA; I strongly encourage people buy the refurb 24" LED ACD. It's like the perfect docking station for MBA.

    Good luck.
     
  16. Steven in VA macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2009
    #16
    interested in selling

    PS. If anyone wants to sell their MBA, PM me or see me in the marketplace.[/QUOTE]


    I'm new here. I'm considering selling my Rev A SSD MacBook Air. How do I contact you? Thanks.
     
  17. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #17

    I'm new here. I'm considering selling my Rev A SSD MacBook Air. How do I contact you? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

    You cannot participate in selling here nor the marketplace. It's forbidden for new members. And you can only post buying/selling information in the marketplace not here.
     
  18. JasG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    #18
    I'll go out on a limb and take all the abuse I'm likely to get: I do not think that there will be a major revision of the AIR anytime soon. The company's attention is elsewhere, and for the vast majority of people who need a 3 pound machine that runs OS X the latest AIR does most if not all that we need it to do.

    I've had my Rev. C since the summer without a single complaint. If I could live with Windows, I'd have plenty of alternatives at this point. But I can't.

    There will be a major revision when new technology warrants it. If they can figure out a way to put 4gb on board, sure. And a larger harddrive, when they can do it without sacrificing what is now a reasonable price. In other words, I expect bumps before a major revisions. All the attention seems to be on the phone and touches and eventually I think a tablet.

    So if it is what you need, I'd buy. The longer you wait, the fewer days you'll have it before the next major revision, whenever that is.
     
  19. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #19
    I have to disagree, but we're only a week or two (possibly) from seeing Apple's immediate plans for all of its Macs. I always buy Macs as close to the day after new release as possible. The Apple way of pricing its Macs really rewards people initially and punishes them if they wait to purchase right before an update. As it's the same price for a Mac the day it's released as it is the day before a new Mac is released in its place. In addition, we still haven't seen a true rev C MBA. Version 3,1 should be released within two weeks along with the new iMac, Mac mini, MacBook, and MacBook Pro!

    I believe we will see all Macs (maybe not Mac Pro) updated because we will see either a major shift in chipsets or will see a last update with Penryn. Could go either way, but Apple has to determine where it's going. The news about Nvidia seems contradictory to what I figured would happen. I suspect Apple wouldn't want to release a new GPU/chipset for one Mac without making it available in many Macs. The 9400m has taken over in every Mac except the Mac Pro. Apple will want the same situation of similarity across products. If there's an ATI in the MacBook outperforming the MBPs, that would be problematic. If there's a dedicated graphics solution used with integrated Intel graphics, Apple would want that across its Mac platform also. Arrandale is probably ready for Macs too, but what does Apple do about the dilemma of going backwards with Intel's integrated graphics that are so far inferior to even the 9400m that it's ridiculous.

    Either way, when so many rumors lead to speculation about a Mac update, especially the MacBook, I wouldn't buy any Mac until the release happens to ensure best possible value in my purchase. I suspect people will be very surprised at just how MacBook Air-like the new MacBook will be.
     
  20. JasG macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2009
    #20
    You don't disagree quite as much as you think you do. If I thought there were a major revision right around the corner, I definitely wouldn't buy. I too like to buy as soon after a major revision as possible. The difference is that I am less persuaded of a major revision in the near future, so I would buy soon and extend the time before it. But like you if I expected a product annoucement in a couple of weeks, I'd wait and see.
     
  21. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2009
    #21
    I'm really interested to see what the new Macbook looks like. We will definitely get an idea of not only the internal specs for the future of the line, but for design aspects.

    Many of the great things of the current Macbook Pro and Macbook Air took their cues from the original Macbook. I imagine this trend might continue.
     
  22. jdechko macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2004
    #22
    Well scottsdale, I speculated this in the thread regarding nVidia originally, but I'll summarize it here. Since Intel is moving to a single die with the entire system (CPU, GPU, & Northbridge) that ought to free up some space on the logic board (where the Northbridge/GPU used to be). So Apple should be able to come in and put a dedicated graphics chip in that free space. If they do that, then we could be better off than we are now.
     
  23. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #23
    I'd rather they put a better battery in that spot.
     
  24. gman901 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #24
    So if you think a new Air is about to be released, how does the recent news with Nvidia getting out of the chipset business affect advancements with the current gpu that's in the Air? The only thing that would get me to buy a new Air (and give my current one away) is if the design changed, they increased the performance of the graphics chip (maybe 2-3 times better than the current gpu) and 4 GB or ram. I do not think just increasing the ram or a slight bump to the cpu would be enough for me to upgrade.
     
  25. bowlerman625 thread starter macrumors 68020

    bowlerman625

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL area
    #25
    OK - I Pulled The Trigger Here (Metaphor, Metaphor..)

    I couldn't take it any longer!

    I had to take my chances and order my next MBA....I ordered the refurb. rev. C, with 2.13 and the SSD. It arrives Friday! I will sell my rev. A on ebay shortly.

    So, now that I've pulled the trigger on mine, this will guarantee the rest of you will be getting a new MBA to look at. With my luck, now we will have the big announcement and the big price drop!! Oh well, we'll see.

    Thanks for all the comments here though. I'm looking forward to be wowed by my new MBA. I sure hope I will be able to tell the difference in my performance over my rev. A.........;-)


    Mike
     

Share This Page