Thinking of selling my Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Beligerent, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Beligerent macrumors regular

Beligerent

I dont have a need for my iPod Touch. I actually dont have a need for anything more than the first gen Nano i have. Why do i have gear lust so bad? Last week I bought a Hi-Def DirecTV system. The week before that I almost blew 30 grand on a Ford Explorer Sporttrak.

2. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

awesome... sell it then , or was this post more to brag about your new TV?

3. Beligerent thread starter macrumors regular

Beligerent

no it was more of a thinking out loud post and a "has this ever happened to you guys" thread.

4. Nausia macrumors newbie

No, I tend to only buy stuff I know I will enjoy and use.

G

5. California King macrumors 65816

I have a similar problem too. I keep buying MP3 players, but always find that I don't use it often enough...but with the iPod touch, I finally found an MP3 player that I love and use.

Anyways, if you can afford, then keep it..if not, then sell it.

6. alana22 macrumors regular

Anyone who says they "need" an iPod touch has serious issues! :p

I bought my touch knowing it was the utmost of vanity gadgets. Yes it has internet, but so does my computer at work and at home, and though I live in Seattle I do not dwell in a coffee shop every waking hour looking at stuff online. Watching a movie on the touch isn't really all that feasible either unless you're on an airplane or a long train ride. I didn't "need" an iPod touch. Nobody does. But I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me happy. It is really one of the most elegant and impressive things I've ever bought. I could've paid less and got a 160gb classic, but I didn't want a tons of space. What I wanted was to splurge on a gadget that is at the cusp of retail technology. After paying rent, taxes, bills and loans, I finally wanted to INDULGE.

However, with your new car and tv, maybe you're indulging a bit too much :p

7. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I too have an issue with gear lust

With me, it's computer equipment. I have 9 functional and 4 non-functioning computers at home, plus countless cables, accessories and networking stuff. It's just my wife and me, and she doesn't understand why I *need* all this stuff. It's not like she doesn't benefit from all this stuff too - and she has the most powerful PC in the house as well as the only Mac 'puter. But, I digress...

As for the IPT, it was a tiny bit of a mistake purchase for me. I really wanted it so I can listen to music, watch my recorded TV programs and occassionally surf the web. But, now I'm thinking that I should've just waited for a 16G version of the iPhone.

Or, I can always keep my IPT and buy an iPhone when a 16G version becomes available... They will nicely complement the yet-to-buy-wife-will-kill-me new iMac. (She says I can buy an iMac after we divorce.) :D

EVP

8. gvegastiger macrumors regular

I've thought about getting rid of my Touch. Using the Touch has made me realize I really want an iPhone. I want to use it for more than just an iPod and lets face it. Wifi just aint going to let me do that. I'm trying to think of a good way to exchange it for an iPod classic. Any ideas out there on how to get Apple to let me exchange it? I'm outside the 14 day window.

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Are you buying stuff to fill a void? I used to do that.

I bought it because for once, i wanted the newest apple product before most people. Also at the time i bought it, i didn't have a laptop. I used it every night to surf the web. Since i bought my laptop, i haven't used it much. I don't even use it in the car because it's too distracting. I usually end up hooking up my 1st generation Nano and think "this is so easy and cool."

So yeh, it's crossed my mind too to sell it. I have it on my desk at work now and will listen to some music and admire how pretty it is. The mirror on the back comes in handy!! Too bad i can't access the internet from here. I'd love to check out new music tuesday from work. BUT i can't. Although there is a full signal and says i'm on, i just get the "can't find the server" message. annoying.

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Actually ive had my 16gb touch for a week now and have made the choice to sell.
    a few questions though, I want to remove the Itunes settings from the touch so its not linked to my itunes account and think that the only way to do this would be to do a factory restore?
    If so, then would the factory restore wipe everything as required however then update the firmware to 1.1.2, thus disabling the benefit of possibly re-jailbreaking it? :(

Ideally I wanted to ebay it already jailbroken

11. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Why dont you return it to the Apple store if its only been a week?

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Cant really do that as my boss bought me it in the states :)
    It only cost me £200 so I am happy to let it go at that, its on ebay now.

I worked out the factory reset myself, and rejailbroke it and has all the apps back on again.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Link?

14. steve.lawrence macrumors member

If you have 30 grand to almost blow on a SUV then why would you be stressing about whether you *need* your iPod Touch? Just use it and enjoy it. If we only bought stuff we needed life would be pretty dull.

15. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Sorry, I searched on the forums here, it was a case of connecting to Itunes, holding down both buttons until the big apple came up on the screen, then letting go of one of the buttons (think it was the top button!?)
    then it did a factory reset.
    after that I reflashed to 1.1.1 using the UPDATE button in itunes whilst holding down ALT on the mac keyboard, then choosing the 1.1.1 update.
    after that the usual navigate to the jailbreak site....