Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Hi everyone, I've recently bought a macbook when they first came out, replaceing my G5 imac. However, ever since I bought it, the thing has given me nothing but troubles...

First thing is first, after about 2 months or so, the heat sync on the the litter bugger gave out, and had to be replaced. I saw a lot of people had this problem, so I let it go and didn't mind taking it to apple store.

Then about a few weeks later I started getting the 2 brown spots where the palms rest on the macbook. I called the store up and asked if they replaced it, and they told me that all they do is use a Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser" to get the stain out. So I did that and to my surprise NOTHING HAPPENED! So I'm going to have to take it there and show them it didn't work.

Now, a third problem with it, the back light on the screen is giving, and after some googling I found out that the inverter somthing or other is not working and I have to get replaced now as well.

Not only with those 3 problems, it gots hot like no other and whenever I do the simplest task, like going on youtube.com the fan gets bent out of shape and goes on a rampage thats so loud, I can't even hear my music!!

It just seems that the book has given me nothing but problems and I think its time to sell it on ebay and get an imac or something. What do you guys (and gals) think I should do, is it a wise choice? Its not a bad computer, 2.0 dual core with 2 GB of RAM.

Thanks for everyones help and opinions! :apple:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, your testimony of the one you got is certainly a ringing endorsement to buy your Macbook. It's still under warranty, right? Call Apple and firmly, but politely, tell them that you've patiently been dealing with multiple problems with your Macbook and the process of repairing it and having to be without your laptop again and again is getting out of hand. Ask them what they can do for you in terms of replacing it. Even offer that a refurb CD macbook is acceptable. See what happens. I think you should at least try that before you try to foist what appears to be a lemon onto the used market.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Well, your testimony of the one you got is certainly a ringing endorsement to buy your Macbook. It's still under warranty, right? Call Apple and firmly, but politely, tell them that you've patiently been dealing with multiple problems with your Macbook and the process of repairing it and having to be without your laptop again and again is getting out of hand. Ask them what they can do for you in terms of replacing it. Even offer that a refurb CD macbook is acceptable. See what happens. I think you should at least try that before you try to foist what appears to be a lemon onto the used market.

Yes, I guess you are right. I got the extended warrenty for 4 years, so maybe they will just give me a new one. Maybe you might know this, or else I'll just ask Apple. Will they just swap my HDD if they replace it with a new one? Because I don't wanna lose all my information or take 5 hours backing up all my info. Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should discuss that with them up front.... Usually, they expect you to make your own backup. If you still have the G5, I would just disk image the drive onto its drive using something like CarbonCopyCloner. Otherwise, if you are getting the replacement through an Apple store, you might convince them to let you bring in your Macbook and firewire transfer to the replacement when they make the swap.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
See if Apple will just replace your MacBook first, if you are having multiple problems.. they might as well send you a new one. Regarding your hard drive, I believe they just give you a new one if I'm not mistaken. You can tell them to just swap it, but I have heard some people just received new ones so I would suggest just backing up your files just incase. Good luck!

ironring2006

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Ontario, Canada
You testimony of the heat sink and palmrest discoloration is the textbook example of what they've fixed in subsequent MacBooks. These are both known issues that should be replaced under AppleCare. I'm guessing you complained about these issues before they became widespread. From what I've heard from others, these are common problems that now see quick remedies.

As far as the fans going up in youtube, that is a problem for all Intel processor Macs, as the flash plugin that is used for youtube videos hasn't been updated by Adobe yet. Anything else that doesn't used flash doesn't tax the processor. Are you close to an Apple store? If you take it right in you might have better luck and won't be without a computer for as long.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
You testimony of the heat sink and palmrest discoloration is the textbook example of what they've fixed in subsequent MacBooks. These are both known issues that should be replaced under AppleCare. I'm guessing you complained about these issues before they became widespread. From what I've heard from others, these are common problems that now see quick remedies.

As far as the fans going up in youtube, that is a problem for all Intel processor Macs, as the flash plugin that is used for youtube videos hasn't been updated by Adobe yet. Anything else that doesn't used flash doesn't tax the processor. Are you close to an Apple store? If you take it right in you might have better luck and won't be without a computer for as long.

So, the fans will stop going fast if adobe makes a patch or update for flash? Cool. Maybe I will just keep the macbook after all...this is a good thing, since I'm taking online classes in the summertime. One more thing, if its not too much trouble...

If I were to upgrade the HDD on the macbook would that void the warrenty on the whole thing, or just the HDD. Because I've noticed that it is quite easy to swap the hdd. Thank you!

ironring2006

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, an update to the flash plugin will make it more efficient. This isn't the fault of the MacBook, rather the fault of Adobe.

Another thing you can do is use the SMCfancontrol utility to tweak the fans. I've got mine set up so it runs a bit higher than the default, but slow enough that I can't hear it. This keeps it a bit cooler under normal load and gives you more time before it requires the full blown max.

A hard drive swap will not void the warrenty of the MB or the HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.