Price Advice Thinking of selling

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny33, Jun 27, 2013.

1. danny33 macrumors newbie

bought a cmpb 13 base model last week, threw an ocz vertex 3 in it.. but...

am now trying to decide if i should sell to get the new air.

was purchased from classifieds so cant get refund.

is £750 a fair price for a week old?

dont use superdrive, and to be honest, really only use it for browsing, itunes etc so think air would be better suited for me

2. errol macrumors 6502

errol

You could take out the superdrive and put in another SSD or HDD. I think the cMBP is a great machine.

3. Kaenon macrumors regular

What does the c in cMBP stand for?

I know the r in rMBP stands for retina. Is the c, classic?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yep, "c" is for "classic".

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

It stands for cool.

6. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

How much did you get it for? Personally I'd keep the SDD and sell the MBP

7. danny33 thread starter macrumors newbie

lets put it this way, at 750 i am only losing around 20 quid

8. RedCroissant Suspended

I would advise you to keep the cMBP because just looking at the comparison of the base models on Apple's website, you wouldn't be gaining that much by switching to the MBA. Sure, you'd be getting longer battery life, but you would lose:
    1)the superdrive(which might come in handy when you want to play your own movie or music as opposed to relying solely on what's available online)

2) the ethernet port(which I needed when traveling which would have made buying a TB-ethernet adapter annoying)

3) FW port(FW drives now are getting cheaper and cheaper thanks to TB and FW is still really fast)

4)the ability to update/upgrade your own RAM(in case the modules fail)

5) the ability to upgrade your own HDDs or SSDs to your heart's desire, and even the ability to use the existing ODD bay for another HDD.

I personally think you'll be losing more than you would be gaining by going to the MBA and would recommend keeping the cMBP.

9. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

In my opinion I would still keep the cMBPro. I still prefer to upgrade the ram and HD on my own and most of my external devices still use FireWire.

10. SilverOath macrumors member

If you're not losing much money I'd say Air. It's easier to carry around, much faster, and has much better battery support. The cMBP is running year old technology, where as a new MBA is not.

The down side is unless you spend an arm and a leg you won't get a large internal storage capacity, but external storage, optical drives, etc are cheap and easy to add-in down the road. You can also get TBolt adapters if you need all those plugs mentioned above (fire wire, cabled ethernet, etc).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but internal upgrade-ability IMO is an archaic notion. Sure you can upgrade the memory or the storage down the road - (as you did with your SSD) - but it's still going to be a slow machine. It sounds like you are savvy enough to buy / sell at the appropriate times - so IMO its better to sell it when it no longer suits your needs and find a newer model and pay the 'upgrade cost' than buy parts and still be stuck with a 'slow machine'.

11. danny33 thread starter macrumors newbie

ended up selling that one, got an air..

but now i have a 10 day old base cmbp 13" that am selling for £550 with warranty until 20/7/2014 ;)

12. Aa-Roon macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum. You're selling cMBP 13" for £550? How can I PM you about it?