Thinking of switch from Droid X in May

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by armalite, Mar 29, 2011.

1. armalite macrumors member

Went to Verizon today to look at the iPhone 4 and yeah it's smaller than my DX but I know it's a sweet phone. When I purchased my X last July I paid extra to get a 1 year contract, was like 70 bucks or something. Don't like 2 year contracts but looks like I would have to go that route or pay the 799.00 for the iPhone4. Is that how many of you do it, do you just suck it up and buy the phone or do you do a 2 yr contract? Looking for advice and thanks in advance.

Another reason for switching is that I have switched from PC to all Mac and would like to have everything synched.

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i personally dont mind the 2 year contract, it makes it so im not one of those "tech chasers" who always wants/needs the latest technology.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Wait. I know its hard. Just wait for the 5.

4. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You should definitely wait until June and see if they release the iPhone 5 before you buy it. You're going to feel terrible if you buy the 4 in May and the 5 comes out, and you're locked into a 2 year contract.

If it doesn't come out in June, as some rumors are pointing out, then go ahead and get the 4.

There is also a chance that the 5 will only come out in June for AT&T and next year for Verizon.

5. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

To be honest iOS and Android aren't all that much different from your average consumer point of view. Unless you're unhappy with your Droid X for some reason I would just stick with it. I don't really see the reasoning behind the "everything syncing" thing, because Android can sync with OS X just fine. You're not really getting a better phone either considering the specs are the same for both devices.

Of course if you're bored with your Droid X and have the money go for it :p, but if you're expecting something better, don't bother. You're getting basically the same thing.

6. jwingfie macrumors 6502a

jwingfie

Same here. I got the Verizon iPhone 4 at launch because I have been waiting years to have one. I'm sure I will want the iP5 when it comes out, but I am more than happy to have any iPhone so I can't be picky. Hopefully iOS 5 will hold me over until I can get the iPhone 6

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

8. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

9. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. You purchased a Droid X in July 2010 on a one year contract, correct? So your contract will end in July 2011. Why don't you continue to use your Droid X for a few months after that until the next iPhone comes out? Then you sign a new contract for the iPhone and pay $199.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Early Verizon Iphone 4

I wasnt eligible to upgrade from my Droid X until May, but I wanted the Iphone4 now, so I added an extra line for $9.95 a month and walked out of the verizon store with my Iphone 4. The Droid X is a wonderful device and I really liked it, but the Iphone 4 is really smooth and the UI is very nice. Don't regret switching. $199

11. armalite thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your advice it really helps. Adding an extra line if I really want this phone is a darn good idea.

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

With respect to the iphone being on contract means little. You can always purchase the next version of the iphone at full price, and without contract extension.

I purchased my current IP4 at full price. Will sell this spring and buy another IP4 (subsidized).

Next year when the IP5 appears I will pay full price and sell my IP4 to offset.

So for the iPhone I have not really paid much attention to contract terms/duration.

13. scott craft macrumors 6502a

Are you paying $9.95 a month plus 30 a month for data for the added line? If so seems like it would have been cheaper to buy the iphone for full retail and sell the droid x.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

14. armalite thread starter macrumors member

Jimbo i went your route, thanks for the advice. Talked to a verizon rep and he even said to maybe get another line. Just bid on a cheap flip phone on ebay and I can use that for my new number then I can sell my Droid X :) Will miss swype and google maps.

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Extra line for early upgrade

I am not paying the data charge for my extra line. I had a few old phones around and just brought one in and they added that ESN number. I think I am in for 2 years for the line, but I would rather pay $9.95 a month, than the bust out retail for the phone. Things change fast....maybe I can drop the extra line in a few months. Love the IP4. My Droid X was great...this is greater.

16. armalite thread starter macrumors member

And having that extra line gets you out of 2 yr contracts if you want LOL

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Let us know if they nail your once you start using the iPhone on that line. AT&T nabs you straight away.

18. X2468 macrumors regular

Verizon & AT&T use the same detector to identify smartphones with no data plan, they'll catch it right away and add the plan. However it may not appear right away depending on the billing cycle.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If I could get a one year contract I would but with the iPhone you're locked into 2 years. While some people may grumble about this, there's really nothing that can be done, short of purchasing the phone at the un-subsidized price.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

haha :rolleyes: Good job reading the OP there buddy. He wants to switch from the X to the iPhone. Really, kids today. :rolleyes:
    You're saying if I add a 2nd line to my VZW account now and get the iPhone, I can get a 1 year contract?

I actually love my X as far as the software goes. The phone's physical buttons bug me for some reason. They're starting to feel clunky. With the intro to the Amazon App Store, I love the phone even more.