Thinking of switching from the ipod touch to the classic.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariotheotaku, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

Recently I have been thinking of selling/trading my 16gb touch for a 160gb classic since I started to see my touch was not holding all of music and movies, but I am not completely sure if this would be a good idea. this is what I am thinking of switching from the touch to the classic:

More space
    Disk Mode (my friend has lots of music and videos I would like to transfer when I am in Mexico, although I don't know much about disk mode, will I be able to just put music and videos and listen to them right away?)
    More battery life
    Being able to use the apple radio (I bought one when I had my nano and now its collecting dust because of the touch, lol)
    I like some of the extras on the classic

What may be a problem:
    smaller screen (I watch a lot of subbed anime and I want to know if the subtitles would be too small for me to read. to tell you the truth 95% of my videos are anime or subbed movies. Also ho dow the widescreen videos look?)
    Not a lot of hacking that can be done (I don't know what you may do with the newest classic in terms of hacking so if anyone know I'll appreciate if you can tell me)
    Is the click wheel less responsive? (I got my friend the 80gb classic but the click wheel seem less responsive than the ones in the previous generations)

What I like from the touch:
    touch screen (do'h, lol)
    bigger screen
    very hackable
    features (Although I mostly listen to music)
    bigger screen for photos

I mostly watch videos when I am on the road and I haven't seen myself using a lot of the other features of the touch. I would like to keep all of my anime in my ipod instead of my mac. Not sure if this is possible using Disk Mode.

I like my touch but I want your advice on this matter. Lastly do you think new ipods will come out in September of this year?

Thank you all

2. Eric. macrumors regular

Disk mode just lets it be used as an external hard drive also. Anything you put on it will only be visible when on a computer looking at it as a disk. iTunes (or whatever other program you may use) has to sort media into the Fxx folders for them to be used from the iPod.

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I'd wait until September, who knows they might make the classic a touch screen.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think you should stick with the Touch you have for now. The Classic is great, but likely to be updated soon. A huge use for you is watching video, and it won't be anywhere near as nice on the Classic, especially trying to squint for subtitles. Granted it will hold more music, but you can always sync as you go.

Another consideration may be to sell your Touch, get a Sony PSP, and a Classic when they are updated. This gives you an even better video watching device, games if you want, music, internet radio, surfing in wifi, and you'll have the bulk of your music collection for you Classic, which will also have radio option with your dusty device. ;)

Good luck with your decision. :)

5. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the suggestions, the only thing that concerns me is that the touch I have now may drop to a very low value nearly close to $200 in the next couple of months/

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    :eek:, blasphemy!!!!
    You know I was at the cell phone lot waiting for my buddies plane to land from NY while listening to Panic at the Disco "Pretty Odd", went on Safari to www.continental.com and saw that flight 792 was about to enter the coast of Fl, after a jog over the ocean, and he'd be landing in 20 minutes, then surfed the Engadget website while killing the 20 minutes to arrival, then on to MR to kill some more time while he was at baggage, before I left to drive to the curb for pick up. It was then it hit me how much I love this device, and how much I am going to love the 3G iPhone as well.:apple: gotta love:apple: I think you'll regret it, who cares if the value drops. I'll get rid of mine when they pry it from my cold dead hands, which at 60 , might be soon