Thinking of Switching to an iMac - Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpmou, Aug 1, 2010.

1. bpmou macrumors newbie

Great forum, lots of good information. Here is my dilemma. I have a 13" MBP that it's 1 year warranty will end in 19 days. I have looked at Applecare, and could pick it up for $175.

However, what I have found is that with having a new iPhone 4, I don't find myself moving my MBP from the home office much (and my wife and I have stopped arguing over who can use the computer).

I am thinking about selling my MBP on Ebay, and getting a 21.5 iMac. I can get the student discount and a free iTouch, that I would sell to offset the cost. The upside is I would have a bigger computer in my home office with a larger HD and the same amount of ram. Either way I would come out ahead.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Also is there away to completly backup my whole hard drive to move it to a new iMac before I sell the MBP on ebay? I am most worried about the software that I have on my MBP, and my VM Fusion with my VM of Windows 7.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. SPX macrumors member

If you can buy the iMac before you sell the MBP, you can use the Migration Assistant and move everything over from your current Mac. If you were to go this route, when you used the iMac for the first time, it will be as if you were using your MBP.

3. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

Perfect answer as that is also what I would recommend.