Thinking of switching to an imac...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jochenb, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jochenb macrumors newbie

I have an 8-core mac pro 2.8ghz (early 2008) with 6gb of memory. I was planning to buy a new 24" monitor with an IPS panel (Dell U2410).

Right at that moment apple announced the new 27" imacs with LED IPS panels and i7 processor in them... this got me thinking.

I mostly use photoshop, lightroom, final cut pro and after effects. I edit large megapixel photos and full HD video.

Would you just buy the 24" monitor or sell the mac pro for a 27" i7 imac?
    Will it be as powerfull as my mac pro?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Working with FCP and Adobe AE won't be as fast with your iMac. You got 8 cores in your mac and these programms can use them. I would keep the octobeast.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Yeah keep it. You can also upgrade your Mac Pro over time, there is only so much you can upgrade the imac.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I would keep the MacPro as well, which is conceived for this kind of works. You can set up interesting RAID hardrive configurations on it.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Keep your current system. As already mentioned, it's upgradeable (graphics cards, RAID,...), and it's still quite fast (especially for multi-threaded applications).

6. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

7. Whiteyez macrumors regular

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Sounds like you do more than the average home computer user which is who the iMac is geared towards. Keep your Mac Pro and avoid frustration.

9. UAofE macrumors member

About 1/2.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

I wouldn't go that far on single threaded applications (assuming that there aren't too many active). The Nehalem iMac can actually out perform the '08 Octad MP for such demanding tasks as web browsing and such, especially if the Turbo mode kicks in. ;) :p

It's the multi-threaded apps, especially those that can use all the cores (rather than some apps that use 2 or 4 atm) that will give a disparity between the '08 Octad and Nehalem iMac for performance. HT or not, additional real cores mean a lot in this situation.

11. jochenb thread starter macrumors newbie

I could get a nice deal for the U2410 monitor, so I made the decision a few hours ago... the mac pro is staying and the Dell is underway.
    As much as I like the new imac, I just can't let go of my precious mac pro :D

Thanks for the replies guys.