Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacIreland

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I have been thinking of switching to apple now for a few months. I am currently using HP desktops and laptops with XP.

I was just wondering.. what exactly is so good about the mac?

As the new iMac has just come out I will probably buy one this week, I just nee some re-assurance that im making the right choice :)

Also, is it worth buying iWork with my iMac when im purchasing it?

-Jordan

ajchapinjr.com

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
With a Mac, you'll not only enjoy the benefit of a functional operating system, but also the fact that you won't have to deal with Anti-Virus software, Spyware, etc...

As far as iWork goes, I highly recommend it. I changed over to Mac a few years ago and after toying around with both MS Office '04 and iWork, purchased iWork.

It does the exact same things as your Office suite, but it seems to "work" better... at least for me, it is much quicker loading, exporting, printing, etc. than I have ever seen Office work on a Mac.

Man, am I vague today...I hope this helps.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I have been thinking of switching to apple now for a few months. I am currently using HP desktops and laptops with XP.

I was just wondering.. what exactly is so good about the mac?

As the new iMac has just come out I will probably buy one this week, I just nee some re-assurance that im making the right choice :)

Also, is it worth buying iWork with my iMac when im purchasing it?

-Jordan
The short answer is do it! You will be glad to did. You will be more productive instead of dealing with Windows issues.

I would suggest picking up iWork (or at least a serial number) here in the Macrumors marketplace. It will be much cheaper.

I also would suggest a .Mac account (Amazon has them pretty cheap). Having online storage, web space, and screen sharing between macs has been handy.

Above all, just have fun!!!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
iWork is great, however has limited compatibility with MS Office. If your using Office a lot elsewhere, buy Office.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
It just works. That pretty much sums everything up as to why I use a Mac. My wife would say "because it's pretty."

The engineering side of me always appreciates the fact that the OS is based off bsd and it comes with all the standard packages one would expect with a unix-like os. It's nice that I can ssh into my linux/freebsd servers and run X apps right out of the box.

As for iWork. If I didn't have office already, I'd seriously consider it. From when I've used it on other machines, it seems to load much faster.

edit: I also equate using a Mac to driving a high end luxury sedan as opposed to a ford focus. They'll both get you where you want to go, but it's just a nicer experience.

iMacIreland

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone, they seem to be a great help for deciding to switch, just wondering though, how long is it normally before they will update the design? I do like having the latest style :p but i suppose that isnt improtant when the computer works. Has anyone here tried vista on a mac? If so, does it actually work well, or have microsoft programmed it to run like a slug?

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
They didn't update the imac design between 2004 and 2007, the current design was released in 2007, so I think your safe for a while.

Vista runs fine on a Mac. As far as Vista is concerned, its a computer, it can't tell if its a mac or pc.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
You know Office, so that is a given.

Try iWork 08 for the 30-day free trial ... and also give NeoOffice a try during that same time.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
Good luck, you won't regret it. The iMac will be a nice change, but if you find it awkward at first, give yourself a few days to learn the new OS. Yes, if you need to, you can install Windows and it will run well, but I don't think you'll need to.

By the way, iWork has caused me no trouble at all, but it never hurts to give other things a try.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I have just one advice.
Get a regular (like Logitech MX) mouse. The one button white piece of crap that comes with iMac can cause serious frustration especially if you're used to right click.
This is the only thing I hate in iMac and I wonder till this day why Apple uses it especially that any two button one works like a charm.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The one button white piece of crap that comes with iMac can cause serious frustration especially if you're used to right click.
This is the only thing I hate in iMac and I wonder till this day why Apple uses it especially that any two button one works like a charm.

Umm, don't you know you can turn on the 2nd button in System Pref? It's turned off by default.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I just switched to Mac about 3 weeks ago. Its hard to explain why it is better, but it just is. I don't think you will ever regret making the switch. An even when you do switch, if for some unknown reason you need xp, you will still have your laptop to use. Hope you enjoy the new iMac. I just got the 2.4GHz 20" yesterday, after returning the 2.0GHz 20", as I was within the 14 day return time.

Enjoy!

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Umm, don't you know you can turn on the 2nd button in System Pref? It's turned off by default.

Doing that will cause even more frustration with someone used to right-clicking. It will constantly think you're left-clicking when you're trying to right-click and vice versa. I use some small logitech mouse that's made for laptops. Much better.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Doing that will cause even more frustration with someone used to right-clicking. It will constantly think you're left-clicking when you're trying to right-click and vice versa. I use some small logitech mouse that's made for laptops. Much better.

I had never used a mighty mouse before, and turning on left click was not a problem at all. You just need to lift your finger off the right click, and just click the left button. I found this very easy to get used to. And why bother buying a new mouse, when a perfectly good one comes with the imac? Thats what I think anyway.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
No hesitation : get a Mac!

Here you will solve all your questions, it's always more fun to learn the differences while using it, no disappointments ever.

Remember that you can also run Windows if you "miss it".:eek:
________
Ferrari 275 picture

Last edited:

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I had never used a mighty mouse before, and turning on left click was not a problem at all. You just need to lift your finger off the right click, and just click the left button. I found this very easy to get used to. And why bother buying a new mouse, when a perfectly good one comes with the imac? Thats what I think anyway.

Try the MX revolution if you ever have a chance. You'll know why the moment you mess with it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I'm used to right-clicking and have had no problems with the Mighty Mouse.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Don't sweat it, you can always switch back to PC if it's the worst experience you have ever had..... I doubt it will be that bad (there is a slight learning curve that is easy to overcome).

If in a few weeks or months you HATE Macs then you can always recoup a good portion of your purchase price for the iMac and get a PC mini tower of comparable specs for cheaper....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.