Thinking of switching to mac & final cut pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lfarrow, Sep 2, 2008.

1. lfarrow macrumors newbie

So i am getting fed up with PC.

I am thinking of switching to mac for the ease of use and streamline ability to do things without viruses and all the other bs i have had to deal with on my pcs in the past.

So, i had a Tower PC crash with adobe premiere on it and it wont work ever again, so says the bestbuy geek squad. And last night my laptop died on me and i will have to get it fixed.

SO MY QUESTION is this, i am looking possibly to switch over to MAC for good, but right now kinda wary about the cost. I want to have 1 computer that does everything i need

I want to be mobile, I want to run Final Cut Studio 2 well, and i want it as cheap as possible. Basically i want FCS2 to run well no hick ups, but video editing and film making is all i am going to be using it for.

So can a Macbook run FCS2 or do i need to go with macbook pro?

I am SO newb to mac products so lemme know what specs or options i need to get to get rollling as cheaply and efficiently as possible.

Also i need microsoft office for school, does it come with it or not?

Thanks Lucas

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

I use a MBP with adobe premiere pro and aftereffects, and it runs perfectly.

While it may be possible to edit on a macbook, i would think you'd be pushing the limits a bit with video-editing, especially if you want to be doing high quality RAM previews with speed. The macbook pro is a rock, and you'll love it immediately. I believe it's graphics card is much more advanced than the macbooks too. I understand what you mean about the pricetag, but these are very reliable bits of kit. Still, it's worth the switch just for Leopard - nothing slows down after running your machine for a few hours, which hasn't been my experience of windows.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Get the MacBook Pro. It's an overall better machine. Better video card is the way to go. Max our your RAM because it's CHEAP to do it now.

My Powerbook (what they had before MacBook Pro) is over 4 years old and still runs really really solid. It's my daily machine. I run Leopard and the latest adobe CS3 w/o any issues. Try that on a 4 year old Windows PC...It'll be slow as balls.

Don't be wary of the cost at all. Go configure a Dell machine that is the EXACT specs of a MacBook Pro or MacPro and you'll see it's really not more. In fact in a MacPro configuration it's quite a bit less. People always think that Macs are more. In reality they are far less, especially once you calculate in all the great features you get included when you buy the computer and the no-hassle OS, and the no Virus stuff... yeah well worth it.

There's MS Office for Mac. Version 2008. Home/Student Edition can be had through many educational institutions for quite a bit less than retail, so to answer your question, it doesn't come with it. Also, you get a student discount on a Mac when you buy it, so you will save money there.

oh yeah...BUY APPLECARE, YOU HAVE 1 YEAR FROM DATE OF PURCHASE TO DO SO.

BTW - Geek Squad typically doesn't know crap, but who knows, they could be right and your Windows computer may never run again.

4. lfarrow thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically macbook pro,

i have used adobe premiere and aftereffects, but that was 4 year old+ program now. So does adobe stuff cost as much.

Basically could one of you guys put together what you think, as cheaply as possible, i would need to make video editing like i use to with adobe on a mac computer?

Basically software, ram spec, hard drive, and everything else. If I can get the video software at a student price lemme know. Been out of the game for a while, but wanting to get back in. Please just write up a spec of what i need as cheaply as possible. Thanks Guys!

5. ZballZ macrumors regular

Final Cut Pro is very dynamic - and it runs smoothly on the Macbook as well. You simply turn the quality down a notch if you start to get too many dropframes and other issues. The thing is that you will be able to run better, less render time, and more things realtime on the macbook pro. So I agree with everyone here - the MBP will do the job better.

I dont know wether you really need the whole final cut studio - if not just go for a student version of Final Cut Express. The lower-end of the 15" MBP would be just fine as well, but max out the RAM.

Get an external firewire800 drive 1TB...it's good as a scratchdisk, so you dont fill up your internal harddisk all the time.

FC Express, student version 99$, MBP 2200$, external drive 350$. This is just estimate, but 2800-2900$ should get you started...

Good luck

6. lfarrow thread starter macrumors newbie

So, i can run FCS2 on Macbook? I am not looking at making full length feature films.

Let me tell you what i am looking at doing. I am going to work with a guy to make videos and exercise demonstrations for a website at top quality. I do want to be ability to do some graphics and effects to make videos more proffessional and seem like our budget was alot higher to make these. Its all advertisement really. Will i be fine with just express? What things can't i really do with express that FCS2 can do? I just dont know how crappy/basic express is. I use to use premiere alot and not alot of AEffects, just want to be able to make solid amazing videos with good quality. So if express can do that then, lets do it, if not then maybe i need FCS2.

Clue me in on what express is capable of doing and if it can do what i am talking about

thanks

lucas

7. mmulin macrumors 6502

First some HW info. The Macbook has an integrated GPU which takes what it needs from the main memory. This means slow and additionally it has limited capabilities as far GPUs go. The Macbook Pro on the other hand has a discreet GPU, just like desktops usually do. Only the mobile version.

Here check the tech specs.

FCS2: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/

Short answer, no.

Some portion of the suite, also FCP, you actually can run on a MacBook, but as of my experience, it is not what you are looking for. Mocking around with dropped frames, waiting endlessly for rendering which you just could preview on a MacBook Pro doesn't seem worth while and professional to me.

FCE: http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

FCE is a nice product for the advanced amateur but you don't make TV/ movie/ advertising quality stuff with it.

My recommendation, if you really need to make HQ stuff. Get a Macbook Pro. Don't save when it will limit your aspirations. Besides some applications of the FCS2 suite are essential for post and they won't run at all on a Macbook. It doesn't need to be the fastest Macbook Pro but make sure to get the quick internal HD (7200rpm), and really important as much RAM as it fits (4GB atm). This is essential for any video/ graphics program. The tip above is very sound, to get an external FW800 disk. Make sure the actual disk is 10k+ rpm. Otherwise you can go with FW400. Fair enough though. The point is that even short HQ edits, especially graphic ones, may rack up quite some space and you want to scratch that somewhere else than on the internal disk. Now this should get you somewhere. However, for an excellent post production, you may want to think minimum MacPro desktop in the studio too. This is what I do, I just raw on the road. My preference.

And, once more you can check yourself here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTE4NDY and put your machine together. Don't forget the Apple Care. If you are on the road with this puppy, it is good to have it.

I think around $2700 for the MacBook Pro loaded, plus FCS2 ($1300), and the ext HD (~$150?).

8. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

MacBook Pro is the way to go. Having the dedicated graphics card will be best for your use case.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to make the switch.

9. lfarrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to get macbook pro for sure,

I am wondering about sticking with adobe creativ suite which i can get discount for 500 or so. Is adobe just as good. I am not looking to make rediculous stuff, just great advertisements and promo videos. I liked it in the past. Is it still easy to use?

Lucas

10. mmulin macrumors 6502

Adobe runs fine and has the same features as under Windows. Just not 64bit yet.