Thinking of taking the iPhone plunge...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dbradford, Aug 19, 2010.

1. dbradford macrumors newbie

Hi all!:) I have a 2006 Macbook (Tiger) which is on it's last legs, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a an iPhone 4 (or higher) for my wife and I. We're currently using Nokia phones. I like the idea of being able to do so much, as far as using the camera and video, surf the web, email, and use the Facetime feature. I'm in the Philippines right now, and my wife is in Hong Kong. The iPhone 3gs is still available here, the 4 is not coming to the Philippines until September maybe.

Would you be able to use the iPhone 4 abroad? Like hers here in the Philippines, mine in Hong Kong, both of us in the US?

Is there somewhere I can go that has info or deals with iPhone beginners to read up on it?

Thanks
    Dave in the Philippines

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Damn! A Macbook frim 2006 on it is last legs!?

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Not sure of where you can look for more specific info since it's kind of mixed in the entire iPhone forums here. But as far as using your phone(s) abroad. You'd most likely need to have them jailbroken in order to work in Phillipines/HK/US. With all the different carriers around those parts, would be cheaper to JB the phones instead of picking one carrier and getting jacked on data/roaming fees. Since the iPhones are coming to Phillipines/UK soon, they should work there even if you get them beforehand however some functionality may not be there until the phone is "officially' released in those countries.

4. dbradford thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks. My wife get get hers at anytime there in HK, and I'll wait for it to be officially released here in the Philippines.

I'm cruising around trying to get more info on the iPhone right now, it's pretty scattered where ever you go.

Cheers,
    Dave in the Philippines

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I have the first MBP model they released in early '06, still going strong. OP - You'll need to upgrade to (Snow) Leopard to use the 4 on your computer.

6. dbradford thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't just activate it at Globe Philippines?

Sorry people, yeah, I'm on a Macbook running Tiger, and I'm a MASSIVE newbie when it comes to IPhones and IOS:eek:. I can't afford to upgrade everything right now. The iPAd is neat, but doesn't really fit my needs right now, so that's why I started thinking along the lines of an iPhone.

Cheers,
    Dave in the Philippines

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You will need a computer to sync your iPhone to in the event that something does happen hardware/software-wise so you can restore your phone without losing much or any data at all.

You can pick up a SL disc for $29 USD in the states, not sure about the price in the Philippines, but it's well worth it.

*I know it's the "Leopard upgrade" disc, it works none-the-less as a fresh install.

Personally, a phone cannot replace a computer, nor can the iPad. Keep in mind I own the iPhone4, iPad and a MBP. Besides, you couldn't sync your iPhone with your iPad as you can on a computer anyways.

8. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The normal upgrade cycle is every 4 years, and Apple's expected upgrade cycle is every 3 years, so that Macbook is on its last legs. This of course varies by need. A prosumer computer 3 years ago can easily be a low-end consumer computer at present.