thinking of taking the leap to a 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by andybno1, Apr 23, 2009.

1. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

so I have a 1g touch all jailbroken and sparkly lol and I've just sold something that brings me £2 under the price of a new 16gig 2g touch but I dunno wether to hold on to the money, stay true to my 1g and ride out the year till sept and get a 3rd gen or just go crazy and buy one.

choices choices :eek:

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I'd wait. There isn't enough from 1G to 2G to justify getting 2G if you already have 1G.

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

As a 2g owner, I disagree. I don't see how the 1g people can live without the volume rocker and internal speaker. Not to mention mic support (something I've yet to use) and upcoming bluetooth activation.

The 1g was a good try, but Apple really got it right for the 2g.

4. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

Mainly because we never had one in the first place. Somehow I've managed to pull an earphone out or the iPod itself out my pocket.

Aaanywho
    I'd hold on mate. The 3rd gen is bound to be better or cheaper.
    Or both.
    That's what I'm doing at any rate.

5. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

thanks for the suggestions I may go with what some of you have said and wait because sept isn't really that far away so I could easily bung the money in my savings leaving it seperate to main money and just ride it out.

as for the volume toggle comment...... I use pockettouch to contorl my volume :p who needs a volume toggle when u got that :p:p

6. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I've owned my first gen iPod touch (8GB) for just over a year now and, aside from some minor chipping to some areas of the grey trim, it's still a device I just love the look of.

The main advantage of the second generation iPod touch, aside from the volume controls and speaker, is that it looks like an iPhone 3G face on thanks to the new chrome trim which is extended round from the chrome back.

When you hold the second generation touch in your hand it feels "better" and the front feels "flatter" because the trim around the edge is not angled away from the screen like on the first generation touch.

I have no need for an iPhone, even though as an Apple "fan" I would love one but I don't "do" mobile phones, so the touch offers me the best part of the iPhone (the touch screen iPod) for a fraction of the price.

However, at just £165 for the 8GB I could be tempted to upgrade soon for aesthetic reasons alone, which as vain as it sounds, it's just how I am.

Besides, my wife has been annoying me by asking "What will you do with that iPod when you get a new one". :p

I just wish Apple would do away with the chrome backing on the iPod range because it gets scratched up far too easily, whether you simply shove it in your pocket day after day, or slide it in and out of a carry case. If I do upgrade to a second generation touch, I could be tempted to go for the invisible shield or a two-piece full front and back protector ... although all the back protectors I used on my own first generation touch only covered a fraction of the back, leaving areas open to scratching.

Anyway, in a nutshell ... if you're happy with a) the performance and b) the condition of your first generation iPod touch then stick with it. If you like the new iPhone identical look and want device mounted volume controls, go and upgrade.

7. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

see I am looking more towards a replacement 16gig at £214, can easily wait it's just with me getting 212 soon my brain went hmmmm I could upgrade :D

Because I have "aquired" and tested 3.0 I didn't see much benefit for me having a 1g so again this was another reason why I was leaning towards going out an gettin a 2g

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You are the same kind of person as me then, the second you get a bit of cash you immediately look at which gadgets you can afford ... :D

I found out that my work has access to the Corporate section of the Apple website, meaning I get discounts on all Apple goods, some more than others.

8GB iPod touch comes in at £150 and the 16GB comes in at £190 ... so I could well be tempted to upgrade soon myself. :eek:

It all depends on how long you want to hold off and wait for the 3rd generation iPod touch. If, as in previous years, the iPod event is held in September then it's a fair few months away, months which you could enjoy a brand new 2G iPod touch!

9. andybno1 thread starter macrumors 68040

andybno1

firstly can I use your discount? :D:D ;) lol

see I would be all ooo look I gots a new pot then sept will come and I would be a green eyed monster lol I dunno I hate being behind the technology I guess lol