Thinking of Trading my MacBook For a iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edwardlanti, Dec 1, 2008.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

hey guys I need some suggestions.. I have a white macbook its the SantaRosa Chip 2.2Ghz, 120gb HD and 4 gigs of memory.. Now there is someone that has a 20" iMac 2.0 Ghz, 250gb HD and 2 gigs of memory and wireless keyboard and mouse, that would like to trade it for my macbook. So my question is.. would I see a big difference of performance going from 2.2 to 2.0? do you guys think its a nice deal doing a even trade? The only reason why i wanna trade is because i would love the bigger screen and i normally dont take the macbook outside like I tought would... Thanks for the advice in advanced

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

IMHO it's a reasonable trade. A RAM upgrade in the iMac will give you a better/perceptible boost in speed than will the 2.2 vs 2.0. You're getting a bigger screen and HD and the tradee is getting portability.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

You'll also be getting a dedicated graphics card. Which would be an improvement. I don't think that you will really notice any negative change.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yup the dedicated graphics chip is like 10X the power of the Intels we have in the last generation MB.

5. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree the graphics will be great. And overall it's a good trade for you both if you don't care about portability and want a bigger and better display and faster graphics. And the other party gets portability and a snappy notebook. I would make the trade if I didn't like typing on the couch and surfing the web away from the desk. I like portability, but there were times that I would sit at the desk for days at a time, too.

Best wishes. Happy Holidays.

6. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

You know what's weird?

I did the exact same thing...well somewhat.

I had a 2.2ghz MacBook for a long time, and decided I didn't like it so I sold it and got an 2.0ghz Aluminum iMac.

Honestly.

Best thing I've ever done.

Once you have get it you'll realize it's so much more powerful graphically. Plus the screen size is nothing shy of amazing.

If you don't want to skip out on the portability of the Macbook. Get the iMac, and get a cheap laptop (NetBook or an Old mac) and then you'll have the best of both worlds.

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

i think it is a good trade because you could do without the portability and with the extra performance gained from the 3.5" drive

8. descartes macrumors 6502

Sounds like a fair trade, hvr I traded a macbook for an imac and while I love the speed and screen I really miss the portability. Not necessarily taking it outside but more around the house, surfing in bed or on the couch. Why not just get an external monitor if all you want is the bigger screen? 20" widescreen lcds are fairly cheap.