Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2011 13 inch macbook air notebook to the 2015 macbook as I like it''s form factor, portability, weight & retina screen.

I'll probably wait until the 2016 macbook model comes out as I'm thinking that perhaps the prices of the 2015 model will come down but I wanted to ask you guys (who have a similar-aged macbook notebook like myself) if I'll see a significant jump in computer & graphic processing power.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 2011 13 inch macbook air notebook to the 2015 macbook as I like it''s form factor, portability, weight & retina screen.

I'll probably wait until the 2016 macbook model comes out as I'm thinking that perhaps the prices of the 2015 model will come down but I wanted to ask you guys (who have a similar-aged macbook notebook like myself) if I'll see a significant jump in computer & graphic processing power.

I'm waiting to see what they do with a 13" model.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
You won't notice better performances with the Macbook.
The 12'' is a good choice if you need extreme portability, but if the main reason for upgrading is the retina display I suggest you to buy a 13'' rMBP. Of course is less portable than the 12'' but you'd have the same screen size with retina resolution and a really faster cpu compared to your 2011 Air.

JamesGoodman

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2015
Hi,

I went from the late 2012 Air to the 12 Macbook and I find (whatever the numbers say) that the MacBook is snappier for basic web browsing, word processing, short videos (mostly news and a little music, etc). The weight and build are fantastic. If you are a writer just make sure you can live with the keyboard. That's the biggest difference. Many people get used to it. Some come to love it. But not everyone. I am very flexible about keyboards and I don't love it yet. I am typing this on a das keyboard plugged into the single port. Nothing like a das keyboard, but it isn't portable. Good luck.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
I went from the late 2012 Air to the 12 Macbook and I find (whatever the numbers say) that the MacBook is snappier for basic web browsing, word processing, short videos (mostly news and a little music, etc). The weight and build are fantastic. If you are a writer just make sure you can live with the keyboard. That's the biggest difference. Many people get used to it. Some come to love it. But not everyone. I am very flexible about keyboards and I don't love it yet. I am typing this on a das keyboard plugged into the single port. Nothing like a das keyboard, but it isn't portable. Good luck.

My experience exactly, but I did get used to the keyboard. I bought my MacBook for travel but even at home I use it way more than my MBpro and have stopped using my MacAir and iPad altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.