Thinking of upgrading from iPad 4 to the New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by akash.nu, Jun 22, 2017.

1. akash.nu, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

akash.nu macrumors 68020

akash.nu

So I own an iPad 4 at the moment and seeing iOS 11 will not support my iPad, I was thinking about getting the base model of the new iPad (not the pro version).

Can't decide if I really want to spend the money because all I use it for is iMessage, a bit of social networking, occasional browsing, emails and sometimes Netflix and YouTube. I hardly get time to play games.

iOS 10 support will just be fine for all of my requirements so far & I don't mind the little lag it shows from time to time. Really thinking if it will be worth for me to buy the new iPad.

2. Relentless Power, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I think if you decide to upgrade, you would appreciate The additional power the 2017 9.7 iPad with the A9 processor and it has two GB of RAM. I Do think you're on the right track being interested in the 9.7 iPad, because the iPad Pro features would not really apply in your situation. And for the price point of starting $329, it's easily affordable.

The only real drawback with the 9.7 iPad, is the lack of the laminated display.

3. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

That's exactly what I've been thinking about. The new iPad supports the split screen option as far as I can remember. I guess on the days I'm out and about for work I can make my iPad as my work machine rather than carrying around the MacBook Air.

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

My wife got the iPad 2017, she's very happy with it's performance!

Cheers

5. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Thinking now should I just buy the 32GB or 128GB. I've never run out of space before on my 32GB iPad 4.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Got the 32GB for my dad. He only uses it for Facebook and Pandora. Also for viewing photos he took with his iPhone (also 32GB). With iCloud's optimize storage option, I don't see photos being a problem in the foreseeable future. His entire photo library is just at 5GB at the moment full size.

Meanwhile, I'm a storage junky. :p

7. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

Yes I'm using the 200GB iCloud space as well. So 32 should do it for me. Don't wanna pay the extra money if I don't really need it. I think people who creates content on iPads might need the bigger storage.

8. akash.nu thread starter macrumors 68020

akash.nu

So I have been trying to use the iPad 4 a bit more than average these days to see if I can survive with it and it definitely is usable at this point but I miss the new iPad specific features like split screen and picture in picture. Also noticing lag while typing too fast. Although can't deny that I love typing on the bigger screen.

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I can appreciate you taking the time to utilize your older iPad to really determine if you would utilize the newer features or appreciate the newer features in the newest iPad. At least you're making a conscious decision versus just purchasing one for the sake of purchasing it without reason. Let us know what you decide.