Thinking of upgrading HDD in my MBP, advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Radioman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Radioman macrumors regular

Well I've seen the online tutorial on how to open the case, and got the tools, am thinking of upgrading the small noisy and slow 150GB drive (Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00) to 300 or 500GB, any recommendations?

I think it would be worth looking for a 7200 RPM model too, though I guess that would limit me to 300GB at the moment from what I can see.

(15" MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz Merom)

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go for it, just be careful with the case.

I'd go to Newegg.com to get the HD.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

And be careful removing the taped ribbon cable connected to the existing hard drive. Slow/patient is the rule when replacing a MBP HDD.

Cheers,

4. glassmen07 macrumors member

5. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

It's doomed then! slow/patient I am not!

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

When you get in there, the hard drive has a bracket holding down one side of the rubber bumpers, on the other side there won't be one. I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure this out when I replaced my former MacBook Pro's hard drive, but it turns out the one on the other side will just slide out.

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

OK, get a good night sleep, no coffee/soda, lower all the lights except the bright one directly focused on the MBP, locate a phillips #00 and Torx#6 (I keep a full set of mini drivers handy) and put on some soothing classical music while slowly, carefully disassembling your system, keeping track of all the screws and types. After replacing the drive, carefully reassemble the system making sure to properly align the top case as you close up and you will have success. :cool:

Cheers,

8. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support guys!

Any recommendations for particular drive models that you've had success with? I guess the choice right now is 300GB 7200RPM or 500GB 5400RPM...

9. Poogis macrumors member

I think the majority have gone for the Western Digital 5400rpm 320gb (Scorpio I think it's called).

I have and it is fine.

10. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, were you not tempted to go for a 7200 to sharpen response?

11. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I just installed a 320GB 7200RPM drive in mine. It took me about 20 minutes, mainly because I forgot about the two screws near the front inside the battery bay. It really is a piece of cake. Just don't lose the screws and you should be fine.

12. pitt1717 macrumors regular

just a tip. while that squege tool, or what ever its called will work. i found that a piece of cardboard was better. with the tool i felt like i was going to crease (for a lack of a better term) the cable. with the card board, i made a piece that was large enough to hold both sides while i wiggle it down the drive. it seemed to be the safest way i have found. other than that, the replacement is a breeze

13. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I used a WD 320GB too - seems good.

One problem I have had was replacing the hand rest. There is now a small gap at the front because not all of the clips seem to go back in to place. The gap is over the superdrive and the same area on the left side. However no one else has reported this - just something to be aware of.

14. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I also put in a WD 320 Sporpio 5400. Follow the iFixit guide, keep track of the screws, take your time, and you will find that it is not hard at all.

15. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at the options the Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 320GB solution seems to come out top of the pile in terms of speed.

http://tinyurl.com/64a3wq

I have seen that online in the UK for about £60 (US$110).

16. Cadium macrumors member

How are the 7200 RPM hard drives in terms of noise/vibration? I am considering upgrading my hard drive at some point as well.