Thinking of upgrading my mid 2010 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gelie, Aug 15, 2015.

  1. gelie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    #1
    To a new
    iMac with Retina 5K display 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, I Tb Fusion drive. Is the Flash drive only 125gb?
    Am I better off waiting to see if they will soon offer cheaper all flash? Currently is $720 for 1 TB flash.

    Thanks
     
  2. kazmac macrumors 601

    kazmac

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    Location:
    in a Shaw Brothers wu xia
    #2
    I'd wait. I am in the same boat although my 2010 is being problematic on a daily basis. Holding out as long as I can (hopefully until new machines are announced.) I am vacillating between a 27" gen 2 retina or a souped up Mac Mini.

    I played around with your exact spec'd 27" retina iMac on Tuesday (it had the X designation video card), super fast. I forgot how much space the SDD portion of the fusion drive has though, I am sure other folks who own could tell you how much space the SDD has.
     
  3. gelie thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2010
    #3
    True. The only thing holding me up from waiting is the student discount. I can save~ $270 + free beats. On a side note, can I use my old IMac as a second display for the new retina IMac?
     
  4. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

    AlifTheUnseen

    Joined:
    May 17, 2014
    #4
    I'm in the exact same situation - mid-2010 iMac here - it's getting a pain in the rectum on a daily basis. Thinking about installing an SSD to help me over the wait until either new cool RiMacs arrive or I finally decide to depart to hackintosh land, tremblng and shaking…

    I thought they crippled the Mac Mini in the last refresh - wasn't everybody expecting the Mac Mini Pro? And we got reduced cores in the cpu instead… ha, what a sad time we live in...
     
  5. richpjr macrumors 68030

    richpjr

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    #5
    Yet another 2010 iMac user here, also very ready to upgrade. I am waiting for the Skylake iMaces to be released, hopefully in the October timeframe.
     
  6. TallManNY macrumors 68040

    TallManNY

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #6
    Mid-2011. I'm in a slightly better position and I would not upgrade now. The student discount is nice. But the CPU refresh coming is worth waiting for. I'm still a little concerned about the current iMacs running the 5K screen for games. I'm imagining the early 2016 iMacs with the top end GPU as my next machine.

    Currently considering if it worth the $60 to upgrade RAM from 12GB to 16GB by swapping out the two 2GB chips for 4GB chips. Would I notice much improvement over the next six months? Will OS10.9 run better?
     

Share This Page