Thinking of Upgrading to iPhone 4 - Input?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by forbiddenxeden, Aug 25, 2010.

1. forbiddenxeden macrumors newbie

forbiddenxeden

I have the iPhone 3G, I love the thing but I have been lusting over the iPhone 4 despite its issues. My contract ends with AT&T in March and (hopefully) by then Verizon might have the iPhone. Everytime I see someone with the new iPhone I ask them if they like it & I don't always get a positive response. They say how buggy it is & how calls are dropped frequently. I want to make an informed decision about it. I've done some reading on here & I also see mixed reviews, thought it best if I just asked. So for those of you who own the iPhone 4, do you regret it or would you say switch to it?

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The phone has been great! No real issues. A couple of little annoying bugs, like the proximity sensor here and there, but overall I am very pleased. I also came from the 3G to the 4. One note to consider is Verizon's 3G is a good deal slower. I recently tested out the Droid X across 4 major cities and I will admit the voice quality was slightly better but their data network was between 2x - 5x slower. With AT&T's improved data speed Verizon is lagging behind in this area. At no point was the Droid X on Verizon even close AT&T's 3G speed.

3. zacharace macrumors member

This is a point rarely broached, and I guess its importance comes down to what is personally more important: reliability or speedy data access. If you can't stand to have a call dropped, I'd say go to Verizon (money is that they'll have an iPhone...hopefully ;)) in March. If AT&T's crappy service is less of a concern then I'd say go for it. The iP4, save the death grip problem, is a fantastic phone--light years ahead of the 3G.

If I were you, though, I'd strongly consider holding out a bit longer.

4. forbiddenxeden thread starter macrumors newbie

forbiddenxeden

Yeah, my friends have Verizon & said that but during my research I ran across a few articles talking about them building a 4G test network.
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and...ork-Seems-Like-a-Match-Made-in-Heaven-556869/

All I know is my service with AT&T is awful... but I'd stay with them for an iPhone.

I'll be holding out til March, is that long enough? Haha

5. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I've had the iPhone 4 for about a month now. It's nice, but not as 'magical' as it's said to be. FaceTime is a great feature, but between the fact that you need Wifi to use it, and another person with an iPhone 4, I barely get any use out of it. The antenna is in the bottom left hand corner of the phone. While I've never dropped a call while covering it up, I have noticed I'd lose a few bars. Multitasking is another thing I don't care much about. While the apps you have running in the background don't consume much memory or battery life, they are a pain to go through, cause in order to legit close them, you have to tap and hold, then "X" each one out individually. It's not as good as it should be...the only phone I've ever liked multitasking on was the Palm Pre.

Just my 2 cents, make of it what you will :p

6. shandyman Suspended

Had the iPhone 4 a month now, vie not had the antenna issue, have gone out my way to replicate it and no problem, so you could be lucky. Had the proximity sensor issues, but fixed that. Now loving it, better signal than my 3G got. Looks great, retina display is brill, used to have to zoom in on some websites to read text, don't have to now. Multitasking is great, I never bother closing apps as no real need to do so. It works fine.

7. forbiddenxeden thread starter macrumors newbie

forbiddenxeden

My hope is that by the time other carriers are using the iPhone that they've fixed the serious bugs ie, proximity sensors.