Thinking of upgrading... What do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iChillax, Mar 28, 2016.

1. iChillax macrumors regular

iChillax

Hey everyone,

I currently have a 13 inch 2010 macbook pro that is slowly hitting a wall with everything that I want it to do. I've been looking into the current 13 inch retina macbook pros and want to know if it's a good time to buy or if it's even a good deal. I could use the most info as possible. I don't really like the direction the 12 inch macbooks went so do i buy before a refresh? Please let me know :)

2. robvas macrumors 68020

You'll see a Skylake upgrade in a few months but it probably won't mean much for you. The current 13" rMBP is a nice machine.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you can wait until WWDC in June, RumorHazIt that Apple will announce an update to the rMBP line, including potential revisions to the form factor (i.e. thinner).

4. iChillax thread starter macrumors regular

iChillax

Do you think if it's thinner, it'll affect the battery life??
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    It is a really nice machine especially coming from a 2010 model. I want it but not sure if now is the best time :/

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Battery life will probably stay the same for most uses.

You could always pick up a refurb from Apple. You'll get a decent discount on a basically new computer.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think battery life would stay the same - I doubt it'd get longer (as that just equals a thinner case, which I guess Apple would prefer) or shorter (don't think MBP battery life has ever decreased between an older and newer version).

If you can wait until June, I certainly would. Even if the case isn't redesigned, they'll likely add USB-C which is becoming increasingly more common. If you keep it as long as your 2010 MBP, you'll be glad you have it.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Well, when the 13" Retina MacBook Pro came out the battery life was worse than the classic 13" MacBook Pro. Not by a lot, but it was an hour or so less.

8. iChillax thread starter macrumors regular

iChillax

Is USB C worth it? I thought that having that would make it difficult because I'd have to buy multiple additional ports just to use it.

9. robvas macrumors 68020

You could need USB-C adapters for things. Depends on your needs.

I would be hesitant to buy a laptop that was USB-C only. I would need adapters for my Thunderbolt display adapters, network adapters, I wouldn't be able to plug in to my 27" ACD and charge anymore...

So basically I would be buying a bunch of new USB-C adapters on top of buying a new laptop and then hopefully sell my collection of Thunderbolt adapters to recoup some of the $

10. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Depends what you mean by 'worth it'. May add some inconvenience now, and lots of convenience a couple of years down the line. Conversely, it may add lots of inconvenience now and only little convenience later on.

Of course, we don't know whether USB-C will be as widely adopted as many people hope, how quickly that adoption will take, whether Apple will keep one or two legacy USB-A ports, and it will also depend on how long you plan to keep it. Five or six years? You may wish you had them. Two or three? Probably won't make too much difference.

Basically, there are too many variables to make a final decision. If you can wait, there's no harm in doing so, and if you don't like the new models shops will still have the old ones in stock (and possibly at a discount, too).

11. iChillax thread starter macrumors regular

iChillax

You're right. I may wait and see what they offer and if I don't like it... I can just go drive over to an apple store that day and buy the current model.