iPad Pro Thinking of using 12.9" iPad Pro to supplement home office?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Saturn1217, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping iPad Pro owners can give me a little advice. I apologize for writing another one of those Should I buy threads...

My situation: I just bought a 32gb 12" iPad Pro off Amazon. I have probably 24hrs to decide to cancel or not (I'd rather not have to return it). I originally thought the 12" iPad Pro was WAY too big and wasn't interested in it but then my job situation changed and I think the 12" iPad Pro could provide a good solution.

I'm switching soon from working in the office (I am a medical/technical writer) to working 100% remotely at home (because I will be living in another state from the company I work for). At the office I generally generate TONs of paper waste. I've got about 10 legal pads floating around half filled with meeting notes. My desk is filled with old drafts and discard journal articles. The new apartment I'll be moving to is tiny. No dedicated home office. I will just be converting a corner of the living room to my home office. I DO NOT WANT tons of paper cluttering up that space and I don't want to spend my own money printing out tons of paper and buying note pads all the time.

I am thinking that the 12.9" iPad Pro could help me avoid this clutter by acting as a replacement for paper. I would use it to take meeting notes, mark up drafts and highlight articles and textbooks chapters that I read for my research. I have an iPad Air now and I already know that the 9.7" screen size isn't really ideal for most double column scientific journal articles. It works, but I generally need to crop margins in order for the enter page to be viewable at a comfortable font size. I also feel like when I have gone to the Apple store to test out the apple pencil it worked better (less lag) on the 12.9" Pro than the 9.7".

TL;DR: I want to use a 12.9" iPad Pro as a replacement for paper in a home office setting.

My question is does that sound reasonable or is this a stupid reason to spend +$700? Has anyone else used the 12.9" iPad Pro in similar situations? I'm not really considering the 9.7 Pro (I would just stick with my iPad Air) and I will have a desktop computer for actual computer work plus my Macbook Air so this isn't about needing a laptop replacement. Would the 12.9" iPad Pro be too heavy/cumbersome to use on my lap?

Thanks in advance!

2. jason.rogers macrumors newbie

Well I use mine for school to take a ton of notes on and feel like I would never go back to writing on paper after getting the iPad Pro. I hope that help a little

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Everyone is different, so I can't guarantee you'll find it comfortable, but I have no problems using the 12.9 iPP on my lap. I'm typing this post now on my 12.9 iPP on my lap using the on screen keyboard.

I think the 12.9 is perfect for working with PDFs. There are many PDF and note-taking apps for the iPad, and it might take some research and trials to find ones that work for you, but I think you'll be able to find a solution that allows you to reduce paper while working from home. The PDF app I found most useful is LiquidText, but I also use some other apps, depending on what I'm doing.

I'd also hang on to your iPad Air, as having two iPads can be useful when you need to compare two documents.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

The 12.9 with Apple Pencil is great for notes and has hugely reduced my use of paper. I use Notability for handwriting notes, plus Apple Notes for various lists.

5. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

It sounds like it would work well for you. As others have mentioned, the apps now available for note taking are great (Evernote and OneNote are free) and there are others that will allow you to not need a scanner or fax machine if you want to save space (and money). My iPad 2 gave me five years of use. The iPad Pro 12.9 is more than capable of doing the same and should be a great professional investment (claim on you taxes).

6. facemeat macrumors member

For those that had the Air(2) before the iPP 12, is the difference that noticeable? I have the Air 2 but I usually end up reading PDFs on my laptop or desktop instead (or printing them out), the display feels somewhat cramped to comfortably read documents, old tactical, strategic and operational reports (documents usually scanned) and annotate on.

7. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

If you ask me this is the exact, intended purpose of the iPP. To replace paper, make it digital. I would have never taken as many notes as I do now because I never had a good way to review, now my notes are saved, backed up, printable, there is nothing that can beat it.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I went from an Air 2 to a 12.9 iPP. While using the Air 2 I thought it was "fine" but it was only after moving up to the iPP that I noticed that the Air 2 was a bit cramped for reading vintage documents, magazines, catalogs all of which were scanned. The 12.9 iPP is perfect IMO for reading those type of scanned documents.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My Air2 is mostly collecting dust. The 12.9 is better for everything -- document reading and writing, web browsing, video, games, you name it, 12.9 is better. The only negative is, it's a bit heavier, and you need a bigger bag to carry it.

10. Saturn1217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Some good info here.

I hadn't thought of needing to sometimes view 2 docs at once which definitely happens so keeping the iPad air in addition would actually be useful (and allow me to still have a smaller iPad when I need it)

Also didn't think about using the iPad pro as a tax write off. Has anyone ever tried this? I imagine the chance of getting audited would be high?

Thanks everyone! Leaning towards keeping my order.

11. DaniJoy macrumors 6502

It sounds pretty ideal for your use case. The only downside is that the pencil is always getting lost. I found an aftermarket bag and I was make sure that I put my pencil back in along with the iPad so I don't lose it anymore

12. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

First, not an accountant, but, there are several time tracking apps for people that use their devices for business. You won't be able to claim 100% (that is a red flag), but with a time tracking app, you will have records to give to your accountant (or provide to Turbo Tax).

13. bxsonic macrumors member

bxsonic

For what you intend to use it for, I think the iPad Pro seems ideal. Personally, I'm using it to draw design concepts (crude ones) & to take notes for my game designs. I used to do this on my notebook and it was always a hassle when it comes to sharing them with other people.

For using on the couch, I actually find the iPad Pro more comfortable than my Mini 2 & iPad 3. Generally, as long as I don't have to hold the iPad Pro for long periods of time, I find the size manageable & even more comfortable than my previous iPads. Everyone holds their iPads differently though so no guarantee there.

14. Saturn1217 thread starter macrumors 6502a

After another visit to the Apple store to try the display model, I ended up ordering (from B&H instead of amazon for a better price). Should be here Monday. Can't wait!

15. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Chiming in that I think this is an ideal use case. :)

The pencil is extremely natural. There is next to no learning curve and having an infinite and compact supply of virtual paper and ink is very liberating!

I am 100% satisfied with the iPad for its writing/drawing capabilities.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Good to hear! Do let us know how you get on when you receive it.

17. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

This is exactly how I use mine. Marking up PDF articles, meeting notes, writing outlines... The Apple Pencil is the killer "app" for it.

I rarely use paper any more. I request people send me meeting materials electronically and I open as either a PDF (GoodNotes and PDF Expert) or with Word and can write notes right on to the file. Even sign and return documents right from my iPad. No faxing/printing/scanning...

18. WillO95 macrumors member

Wondering if you can help me

I am using for the iPad Pro pencil to take notes but I find the screen very slippery glass screen protector. Do you use any form of screen protector?

19. sjleworthy, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'm a designer working from home in my spare bedroom/converted office.
    i use my stupidly powerful pc's for all my design and rendering work. i have no choice in the matter.

but i too need to supplement this with general office duties/admin facilities.

What the 12.9 Pro, Pencil and smart Keyboard does for me on a professional daily bases is OUTSTANDING in doing so.....

1) all my emails and email accounts.
    2) all my diary and appointments and meeting times.
    3) Skype and messenger facilities, including facebook and social media accounts.
    4) notes - all my telephone notes, conversation supplements, sketches, etches, to-dos, ideas etc etc are all recorded in Notability. i probably make pages and pages and pages within a week.
    5) Pages handles all official correspondence, invoices and letters to clients via my own templates.
    6) Numbers happily copes with my accounts and XL sheets. again, custom made templates.
    7) Safari - banking and general comms to the www
    8) Dropbox is my off site storage
    9) Prints everything beautifully to my wireless laser copier.

and a few minor other apps that do various small tasks.

But in essence, the 12.9 Pro has completely changed and streamlined my working pipeline for the first time in well over 25 years of doing this ****. For me to say it's a game changer is putting it mildly. I dont use my ipad for anything leisure or no-work related usually, so gimmicks and gadgets are not important to me. the screen and processing speed is my god.

In my opinion, if you want general office/admin facilities and are not too worried about not using desktop software or the same software you're generally used to then you cant go wrong with Pro as an office companion. So far there's nothing it cant do for me in this capacity.

20. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Yes, I'm using a glass screen protector. It doesn't have the friction of paper and took a while to adapt. It is very smooth to me now.

21. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I don't use a screen protector. I've had so many iPads and haven't yet had an issue. I do have AppleCare, however, just in case.

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I've been shocked by how productive I've become on an iPad since getting my 12.9" Pro. I also got the ASK and the Pencil to go with it and it's been great.

I've literally never been productive on an iPad before, I've tried and purchased many keyboards and tons of different styli at varying price points including more expensive than the Pencil.

But I always found the styli to be just a little too inaccurate for my liking, the keyboards a bit on the cramped side and the screen just a tad small for my liking.

The Pro has reversed every single complaint I had prior to its purchase. I'm just as productive on the iPad now as I ever was on a laptop. In fact probably more so thanks to the Pencil for scribbling down notes and ideas. I've even invested in a vector app and some drawing a apps and I use them for working on assets for my apps.

Using Remote Desktop software I even tap into my office Mac and work away on Xcode when I really need to.

I know everyone is different and it quite obviously won't be to everybody's taste. But for me the 12.9" combined with the Pencil is by far the best iPad and accessory Apple have ever put out.

I'll never for the life of me understand the complaints about it's portability, in the grand scheme of things it's tiny for goodness sake.
    I've carried a 17" SLI Alienware laptop in the past that dwarfs the iPad by a considerable margin and literally weighed more than a 21" iMac does. So I'm perfectly happy to carry this little thing around.

One, probably obvious, tip I started doing though is holding it differently (your holding it wrong;) ) I've got severe nerve damage so there was no chance of me holding this by the edge as I have all my previous iPads. So I put my arm behind the Pro and hold it by its opposite edge, resting it on my forearm. Just like you'd hold a clipboard I suppose, I find that really comfy for browsing the net, reading or scribbling with the pencil.

(Sorry for prattling on I've had more morphine than usual today so I'm high as a kite :D )

23. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

As others have said, I think that's a great use case and that iPad should be a great size for those documents. You might want to also make sure that you pick up Scanbot or Riddle's Scanner Pro to "scan" paper documents as PDFs - this could help cut down on clutter if you do end up with some "analog" content.

24. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

Or Microsoft's free "Office Lens" app, which corrects any angle photo into a flat document, save as pdf, etc.

25. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Actually, if you get it for your business - you'd be able to capitalize it as an asset of the business and then depreciate it over several years, so you'd write off over whatever the useful life is. I forget, but computers may be 3 years - so you'd have ~250 of depreciation each year for the iPad as an expense against your income. Of course if you're an employee then that wouldn't work since you'd just have your w-2 and not a business yourself.