Thinking of using OWC Data Doubler with my MacBook Pro 13" mid/late 2009 model

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aningbo, Jul 6, 2013.

1. aningbo, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

aningbo macrumors member

Here's my macbook pro configuration details: 2GB DDR3 RAM, 160HDD, Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz Processor. I bought it sometime in September/October 2009. It currently runs Lion and it's rather slow.

I'm planning to go ahead with the OWC Data Doubler+SSD and use HDD to store files.

If you could kindly give me your suggestions and opinions, it would be great:
    1. Would i face any issues with the configuration of my macbook pro?
    2. Would i be able to use any brand of SSD? i'm thinking of 128GB Kingston or 120GB Samsung
    3. My most frequently used apps include Google Chrome, Safari, Photoshop CS4, Text wrangler, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, VLC among few other apps.

And if you are using Data Doubler, what do you think of this product? is it worth getting SSD?

2. Buckaye macrumors member

i just put an SSD in my late 2008 Macbook pro and I cannot believe how fast it is now! The samsung works great - and I know that a lot of people prefer it.

Since I got my macbook pro used this week, I immediately cloned the fresh install onto the SSD drive so all my applications open from that drive.

Today I am getting the caddy to take the old HDD and put it in the optical bay. I will put files there and keep the applications on the SDD.

If you can clone the drive (IE you don't have more than 120 Gigs used on your original HDD) - I would suggest you do that... its super easy with Carbon copy clone (CCC) and my computer booted right up. Then you can transfer any files where speed isn't important to your HDD.

3. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

Half a year ago I bought a 120GB SSD and put it in my 2010 MBP by removing super drive and made it a fusion drive using the fusion drive hack. Even though it's more than a 3 year old laptop right now it fast. I can use this thing for 2 or maybe 3 more years. Totally recommend it. Also I never had the need to put in a CD, ever since I did it.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Definitely get the SSD. You can see the configuration I have in my sig. I'll say this... It's fast enough that I don't feel the need to upgrade for a while... Personally I use THIS METHOD with my setup. It's completely transparent to the OS, and lets me perform OS updates or reinstalls on the fly and pick up where I left off in minutes. My next upgrade will be replacing the spinning drive with a hybrid drive.

Also, just noting you still rock 2GB of ram. The SSD will be a significant boost in real world speed, but you should definitely look into upgrading the ram to 8GB. It does make a huge difference all on its own.

5. aningbo thread starter macrumors member

Thank you emir :)

@Buckaye: I'm planning to format and re-install Lion or Mountain Lion on it and so cloning won't be necessary. I want to clean install it and store only necessary files in the SSD. I have time machine running to backup important data. I'll store all my others files in the 160GB HDD or an External HDD.

OWC Data Doubler to Delhi, India would cost me over $80 inclusive of the shipping cost and therefore looking at cheaper alternatives. It's just a frame!! Why does it even cost $39 to begin with. And also, don't want to spend that much since i would have to spend about $120 on SSD again. Amazon.com doesn't deliver to India :(

----------

Thank You Dalton, I'm also thinking of the same :)

6. GoPool, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

GoPool macrumors newbie

The DataDoubler is too expensive for what it does. Get a cheaper version online--I got mine on eBay for $10. If I were you, I would add a second SSD to complement the first one. In my configuration, I replaced the stock hard drive of my 2011 MacBook Pro with a 120 GB Samsung 840 SSD and replaced the super drive with a 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD. My system files and application are on the 120 GB drive and my home directory with all my documents are on the larger drive. Now my Mac is smoking fast and completely silent.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I found an India based website selling the EXACT data doubler I use. It works perfectly, right down to performing at SATA2.(Some 3rd party models only work at SATA1)

http://www.kida.in/hard-drive-caddy...pro-13-15-17-superdrive-replacement-only.html

As far as I can tell that price converts to 48.00. In the states it is only $10, but it's a lot cheaper than $80.

8. aningbo thread starter macrumors member

@Dalton. Thank you for the link but a $10 in the US??!!! Woah.. I have some friends coming back from US by the end of this month. i'll ask them instead. Thank you. That saves a LOT of cash :p

@GoPool: i don't have that much extra cash to buy. I guess i'll stick to the 128GB SSD and use the 160HDD to store other files that i used from time to time. I have a 500GB external harddrive which i used for Time Machine and another 1TB to store files, movies, music etc. Thank you :)

9. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I just received my Samsung SSD from Newegg and will be doing this upgrade for my 2010 MBP. Can you point me to a site that tells me how to make a fusion drive? I have the fusion drive in my Mac Mini and think it's awesome!

Thanks,
    Trvlngnrs

10. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Get one from ebay like everybody else. They ship those from China where they are made anyway. Cost 10-25$.
    It is just a passive adapter should support any SATA speed. It is really just a plug that makes the SATA connection + SATA power an mSATA plug. Just wires and a frame. Probably has a 3-5$ manufacture cost.

12. aningbo thread starter macrumors member

Well the problem is, macsales.com will cost me $80 with shipping charges. ebay.in is selling one at $114. Yes you heard that right. there are only 3 listings at ebay.com and two of which isn't shipping outside the US. the one that ships worldwide would cost me $60.

13. aningbo, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

aningbo thread starter macrumors member

14. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I just upgraded my computer to a 840 pro and added the OWC data doubler. Pretty simple upgrade!

Where are you shipping the product if it's going to cost you $80 to buy from OWC?

15. aningbo thread starter macrumors member

i got a caddy from ebay for $11 and will hopefully be delivered by the 1st week of august. thanks.

i'm getting it delivered to India. OWC+shipping is $40+$40 :/

16. Steve J0bs macrumors regular

17. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

From the looks of things, how much of your harddrive do you already take up, and instead of a data double, i would just go for a larger SSD like 250GB+ and work from that.

But if you really need the storage, the I say that the data double would work great for you. Just dont forget to have trim turned on act the SSD is installed. :)