Thinking the unthinkable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jacquescousteau, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Jacquescousteau macrumors newbie

I got my first Mac in Oct 1999 a slotloading 350 iMac - it is still going strong with OSX public beta loaded on one partition and OSX 10.3 + OS 9.22 on the other ...an amazing machine which I love and had to use when faithful emac 700 hard drive died after 4 years hard use and I was awaiting my brand new Intel Imac 20 inch 2.0 core duo - I loved using the old imac in that month I was waiting for the new imac - played Sims, Tony Hawks, Deus Ex installed windows 95 on the original virtual pc - what a gas real fun

Then the intel mac arrives and it's a beauty - first Doh moment was - oh yes I can't use classic - this is a big thing after the fun of the previous month...still move on...then I find rosetta is crashing ppc apps all the time...well that's all I have and half of them I can't use now!

So after 2-3 months of progress with my Intel mac I persuade myself to upgrade to Leopard last Friday...I know I'm supposed to be impressed by all the under the hood improvements but I'm not impressed with the dock the graphics performance, the ability to run my old apps - the truly horrible icons

When will I use cover flow? It's a pain in the arse....quick view? why not just launch the app? Stacks? my previous posts have detailed problems there...performance increase? do me a favour - truly stutering graphics and I have 3 gigs Ram

For RSS I use Vienna why would I use Mail? and why would I use those silly templates in mail? to impress a windows user? - the only thing that works blindingly fast is windows XP ultimate when I re-boot

I am seriously disappointed with Leopard and thank heavens I still have Tiger and Classic on my laptop...and of course the faithful old slotloading imac when macs were fun

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

nice of you to let us all know. Im extremely happy with leopard personally, quicklook, its a feature like expose that i now cant live without, how can instantly seeing a whole file be a bad thing? and stacks i find i use a hell of a lot more than i did folders in the dock, and as for performance increase - at last the finder is what it should be, fast responsive and doesnt hang on networked drives that are disconnected.
    goes to show how to people can have completely different opinions of the same thing. I havent even discussed my favourite new feature.....attention to detail, maths equations in spotlight to name one. and if you have kids the parental features are amazing.

3. MacAodh macrumors regular

What's the unthinkable??? Your not thinking of switching back are you?????? :eek::eek::eek:

4. Jacquescousteau thread starter macrumors newbie

Back to you

Well just letting you know my feelings - no need for a sarcastic opener - I admit I don't get quick look at all so I must be missing something...please tell me if I am...it seems to me I have to drill down to actual files (as opposed to folders) to get the benefit of quick look, but by then I can see what the files are in icon view by their names or thumbnails - stacks are not as useful as say dragging any frequently used folder to the dock in Tiger and pressing and holding and scrolling to right what you want - that is 1 click access to everything....stacks is at least 2 click and you have all those ugly messy overlayed icons in the dock ...what happened to Mac elegance I can't believe they did that

Performance is not noticeably better and graphics performance is cranky to say the least (see previously documented entries and screen shots)

Thinking the unthinkable didn't mean I want to go back because I know I can't do that as things will increasingly become unusable in previous versions of mac OS - it meant that I am a Mac user all my home computing life who is less than happy with Leopard

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I have no intentions of "upgrading" to Leopard in the next several months, barring some unforseen improvement in battery life or OS maneuverability. Tiger does everything I need it to do, and it requires less memory to run its eye candy. To me, going from Tiger to Leopard is little different from going from XP to Vista. Why upgrade for the sake of upgrading?

So no, you're not alone. On my Gateway laptop, I stayed with XP even though the comp came with Vista, and I'm doing the same on my laptop vis-a-vis Tiger.

6. Jacquescousteau thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Heatmiser

Thanks for your reply I'm glad I'm not alone in not gushing about Leopard - you know as well as I do eventually you will have to upgrade unless you can accomodate and keep about 3 generations of Mac/Pcs running in your home (build an extension) I wouldn't rush into Leopard - the main reason I did was because of the bootcamp beta expiry date

I use XP at work - Vista on my bootcamp - Vista is nice but confusing and annoying (prompt heavy) - I know where I am with XP - I knew where I was with Mac for 8 years but I don't like Leopard although I also know I will have to live with it

My real point is I now have 3 macs running different OSes and I have to switch depending on what I want to do - why can't I do it all on my shiny new imac?

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Whose fault is it that you bought a piece of software that you'll never use? It's not like it wasn't abundantly clear what came with leopard / whether or not you'd ever find it useful.
    :rolleyes:

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

9. Jacquescousteau thread starter macrumors newbie

Replying to desenso

Using Leopard is not about buying a piece of software you'll never use - clearly I'm using it everyday - as for it's features if they were so abundantly clear before anyone upgraded why has there been any comment at all? why was a major upgrade released so quickly? If you haven't tried out cover flow, quick look or stacks before how do you know how they'll work or compliment your particular way of working?

I am disappointed with Leopard - stop being the Mac evangelist - I am at heart a Mac evangelist too but I'm not going to praise the many retrograde steps in this OS - it looks horrible and bunker like - stacks is a disaster I've even gone back to desktop aliases like OS9

If you love it great - then persuade me to love it too

10. Jacquescousteau thread starter macrumors newbie

Back to you psychofreak

Sheepshaver is a great project and I have had it running - unfortunately won't run most things due to graphics issues and the developer has publically asked Apple for help to develop it - why don't Apple do this? - It's like they're saying all that stuff we did in the past is hopeless and outdated...OS 7,8,9 embarrasses us - we're on Intel now forget it - hang on a minute Apple we were the ones who kept you alive - why can't we have support for all earlier OSes? that would be so coooool and it would be a feature built in which new converts would never have to use so wouldn't spoil their "joy of Mac experience"

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Because Quick View is a lot easy and quicker?