Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Hey guys, for starters, this has to be one of the most informative forum i have ever been on. After viewing this "iPod Touch" forum, for countless amount of times, im pretty close to buying the iPT. I tried it yesterday at my local Apple store but couldn't spend too much time on it because of the amount of people just waiting to try one (or to check our their facebook accounts...).

So anyway, i'm an avid Google user and i'd like to know how well some of their products run on iPT version of Safari. Has anyone tried Docs and Spreadsheets? Some say it works, some say it doesn't (by reading on the internet). How does the calender work? Or the notebook feature? I know some of you at this point are saying, well, Jailbreak is out, so most of your questions are answered. Yeah, you're right but i'd like to look at both angles. The hacked version and the legit version. Just to get a clear mind.

Their is one thing that i have trouble finding out. How's the TV out quality? I know it's nothing close to HD but for what it is, is it fine? Is it like cable TV quality that we've had for a decade now? What i mean is, is it passable?

So, thats it, hopefully some of you can help me out, so that i can finally pull the trigger.

Thanks for your patience guys!

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Alright, so i got the answers for my Google questions. What about TV out? Is it good?

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
Does the google stuff work?

I read that most products work on the iPhone, so i'm taking a guess and saying that it'll work on the iPT. In any case, i'll just go to the store tomorrow and try it out. Or i'll just buy it, test it, and return it, if things don't work out. Unless one of the 100+ people who looked in this thread, can do me a small favor? :D

fdmendez

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
I use Google Reader, Google Calendar, and Gmail on the iPod Touch frequently. They all work great except that I don't think you can add calendar entries via the mobile version of Google Calendar (but I'm not sure of that as I don't use that feature if it exists). As for gmail, I prefer it over the Mail.app that you can install from the iPhone onto the iTouch. Gmail is very functional in its mobile version.

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I use Google Reader, Google Calendar, and Gmail on the iPod Touch frequently. They all work great except that I don't think you can add calendar entries via the mobile version of Google Calendar (but I'm not sure of that as I don't use that feature if it exists). As for gmail, I prefer it over the Mail.app that you can install from the iPhone onto the iTouch. Gmail is very functional in its mobile version.

Ah, thank you so much! For the Google reader, do you use this version or the mobile version?

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
I went to the store today. Tried it out and everything works. Except Docs and Spreadsheets, you can view it but can't make any changes.

I also learned that the iPT and iPhone output 480i instead of 480p, like the Classic and Nano. I find it weird but i'm sure it can be fixed through an update.

Has anyone tried TV Out? Anybody? I looked at this article and though it is good, it helps to know what other people think.

LouTreize

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2007
...ok, well i just got informed about TV Out...it is what it is...i can live with it. Now a bigger problem shows up.

The iPT cannot work on my university's wireless network. It's using TTLS and both the iPhone and iPT do not support it. Unless, im missing something...???

In any case, i find it strange how they don't work with that authentication. Being that it's mostly used in Colleges and Universities and thats where a majority of iPod customers lie...

Ah well, here's to hoping for a fix...and yes i already sent feedback to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.