Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robespierre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I am a longtime Thinkpad T series user, also have a Mac desktop at home, like them both. I would like to buy an easily transportable laptop for light tasks ( word processing, Internet, email) and like the MBP 13 as a reasonable compromise but am hesitant because of the glossy screen with no matte option. For that reason I am also considering the X301. However I am concerned about the higher native screen resolution which may make reading difficult for a middle aged person such as myself. I actually haven't seen the X301 in a store. Wonder if others have been in the same quandry deciding between the 2. I also like the keyboard on the lenovo better than the mac. Cost is not a consideration. I would get the mac if there was a matte option and I would get the X301 if the resolution were not so high. Perhaps I am unduly worried about the screen glare (MAc) or worried for nothing about the small fonts (X301)?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Just get the X301, you can change the font size easily. If you don't like the glossy don't get the Mac.

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx
I may be just personally ill-informed but, I prefer the Glass screen of the 13" vs my Matte screen on my POS 15" Toshiba. In contrast, If you don't like the glass screen go for the Thinkpad. Resolution may be an issue but you can either increase the font or, like with my dads toshiba (which just yesterday crashed about 20 minutes after him telling me Windows is plenty stable and I am just wasting my granted money:D) you can change the resolution to a lower setting. That option, however, may not be available.:confused:

froggyjo

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Switzerland
I use both: The X-series and the MBP 13. Though I really like my X201, I would always choose the MBP over the Thinkpad - mostly because of OSX. I don't think that the glossy screen is that big of an issue - especially not if you compare it next to a Thinkpad. Even though the latter are really nice machines, their screens tend to be at best mediocre. If you still want to go for a Thinkpad, don't buy the X301: It's old, slow and will be discontinued. Get a X410 or a X201(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.