Thinkpads.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by XX55XX, Feb 17, 2012.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

My very first computer (which I got in 1999) was a used IBM Thinkpad 600. When it broke in 2000, I asked my father if he could source an IBM service manual so that I could fix it. He did, but I couldn't fix it, and ended up buying a Compaq Presario desktop. For the next nine years, I used desktop computers only.

When I was shipping off to college in 2009, I bought a MacBook Pro out of curiosity. It was a good machine, but a part of me wished I gotten a Thinkpad instead. I would say that over 70% of the students at my university used MacBooks - and while I also saw a lot of HPs and Dells, I didn't see very many people using Thinkpads in particular.

Last summer, I sold my MacBook and got a Lenovo Thinkpad T420. It's still my workhorse machine and is one of the most solid notebooks I've ever had.

Maybe when Ivy Bridge releases in June, I might get my hands on a T430s...

What are your experiences with Thinkpads? Perhaps the best thing about them is their retro 1990s aesthetic.

2. Arganos0 macrumors member

I had a macbook, and am currently typing on an iMac with windows installed on it (used the Mac operating system for 2 years after switching back).

I am currently using a Thinkpad Edge. I like it. It suits my purposes well - I do a fair amount of financial analysis/modeling and excel work, and it handles the job really well. I would even say slightly better than a Mac, although Macs have other benefits (that I just do not happen to need, personally).

The keyboard is great. My girlfriend also has a Thinkpad Edge, which has the great function that you can spill drinks over it and it won't damage your computer (*generally speaking, don't overdo it). Also, I love the trackpoint. I always used the trackpad, but once I got used to the trackpoint I couldn't go back.

But you know, it's just a laptop. It's stable, a bit heavy, and works well. Don't expect any magic from it. It's a workhorse that handles work pretty well. No complaints with Windows 7.

3. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

Ah... Edges. They are nice and cheap, but I prefer something from either T, X, or W series.

4. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I have a T520 and I like it. Clean looks, good autonomy, great keyboard (altough I would prefer a backlit one), and strong build for a PC (nowhere as strong as a unibody MBP, but for a plastic case, it's good). It's a bit on the heavy side, though, and I keep pressing the DVD drive button by accident, which irritates me as I never use it. I wish I could buy a dummy drive but it seems not. There is the option of putting a second battery there, though. I might go in that direction.

If you absolutely need a PC then these are great machines. However, I do believe MacBook Pros have better construction - even if you consider that they don't have a waterproof keyboard and such. They're half as thick, they don't flex at all and offer superior battery life while supporting Windows as well.

5. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

I'd say the build quality between Thinkpads and MacBooks are about equal. However, I'd rather have a Thinkpad fall to the floor than a MacBook. (My MacBook Pro suffered from a hideous dent two years ago when it fell three feet.)

And then you have the issue with the glossy screens... (which can be rectified with a custom order).

And course, there is always OSx86 for those who want the operating system on non-Apple hardware... I've done it!

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I'm running mac on a custom build pc .. i7 fast as hell and cheap. I also have a mbp though.

Never used a thinkpad but I know lenovo makes great machines. They are always 2nd behind apple in customer satisfaction

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I forgot the most obvious thing - the trackpad. I never use a mouse with my MBP because the trackpad is awesome. On the Lenovo I have two choices: either use a mouse, or the clit mouse in the middle of the keyboard. The trackpad is tiny, textured (doesn't glide as well) and gestures are almost impossible to trigger.

8. XX55XX thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, no doubt. Apple has the best trackpads ever. I miss it myself somewhat, but the Trackpoint makes up for it.