Thinksecret: Death knell tolls for 17-inch iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macjay, May 21, 2007.

1. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if Apple might come out with a 17" display to go with the Mini for education, etc. as a replacement for the 17" iMac.

2. mjstaceyuofm macrumors newbie

yet another report of an impending iMac update/refresh....

Can't wait! Gotta believe it's going to happen at WWDC. :confused:

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

this can only happen if the 20" model drops in price. there's no way apple can have an imac starting at $1499.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I hope not. At some point I will need to replace my iMac G5. We don't all have enormous amounts of space to put our computers in :(

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 17" should just hit $999 w/SuperDrive to be honest. It's a great all around model.

6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

People talk about this gap in the Mac line-up but there really will be one if they drop the 17" without modifying something else.
    They would really have to change the prices around; the base 20" here is over £300 more than the Education 17" and still £200 more than the standard one. That's far too much of a jump.

If this is true then any revelations might reflect why the Mac Mini has been neglected for so long but this sounds a bit too extreme to be true, sadly.

EDIT: Appleinsider already reported this, along with the rumours of a case redesign.
    If ThinkSecret actually believe this, the case redesign may be true... :)
    A price drop would probably go with the abolition of the low-end model which would be sweet.

One question, though. Why do people want a 24" panel over a 23" panel when they offer the same resolution?

7. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

They could continue producing the 17" as is to fill the emac role but I think the mini is officially in that position.

Most of the complaints I remember about a gap in the line up fall between the high end iMac and the low end Mac Pro.

8. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I have my doubts on this one. Isn't the $999.00 model really geared for the educational market with the omission of the superdrive? I would find it hard to believe that the edu market would be happy with 20" models simply on size alone. Perhaps the 17" would become an edu-only model...

9. cube macrumors G5

Bigger type and also bigger movies.

10. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yea i think this is a good thing for this very reason. It has to mean a price drop.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's $899 for education. It's not that bad but the eMac hovered around $799 for education. I'm not sure why Apple has it there for retail, again.

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Right - the educational price is $899. I'm sure for school volume purchases it's much lower. I was trying to remember how much the eMac's were going for...thanks.

Supposedly there was customer demand for the combo drive model of the 17"... I guess it didn't hurt to have another model in the mix since Apple has so few products lines of machines.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You don't get volume deals off the store. You usually go through your Apple representatives. My department has had some talks with ours already.

14. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

I don't think so. That product has been asked (read: prayed) for years. Screens are only going to become bigger and bigger over time.

The article gives the impression that 20" screen now costs the same than 17" screen few years ago when the G5 iMac was introduced. If they cut the 17", one could guess that the 20" model is offered at the 17" price point.

I'd hate to see the 17" model go. Many want compact computer instead of huge screen.

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Yep. And I cannot imagine that 20" screens are what most people would want in a classroom environment unless you are in graphic arts and such...

16. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

It makes sense to have a price drop. Personally, I found the 17" too small and the 20" will be great at the low end. I wonder if we will get an imac update with price drop, but no case change before WWDC, with the MB pro taking the spotlight at WWDC. Rumours can be true but off by months.

17. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

Maybe we'll have a funeral like we did for OS 9....

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The 17" model is great for sub-$1,000 and 1440 x 900 is typical even among PC manufacturers.

Apple needs to move the Mac mini down to $499 again and lower the price of RAM upgrades. Might as well get the damn thing without any RAM. 1 GB is $43.99 on Crucial and 2 x 1 GB at $87.99.

19. cube macrumors G5

17" panels are not competitive against 20" widescreen.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The majority of HP and Gateway machines that I see offered at national electronics chains come with 19" widescreen LCDs at 1440 x 900.

21. cube macrumors G5

Yes, 17" is definitely not worth even looking at compared to 19".

But 20" with more resolution is only a little bit extra.

22. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's the same resolution. *face palm*

24. cube macrumors G5

But 19" is more comfortable at the same price.