Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
True, but you can say this about anything in the computer which goes back to the whole desktop-vs-laptop paradigm. I had to pay Apple $700 a few months ago because a $5 chip that controlled the backlight sleep timer in my 27" iMac died. Because of the level of integration to make things thin, they had to replace the entire (and otherwise perfectly working) LCD panel!!!

And this was in the 2011 incredibly fat (sarcasm) model. The new 21" iMac would need it's entire logic board replaced if a $10 memory chip goes bad!

Of course, back at Apple, they'll just replace the chip and sell it as a refurb so they get back most of their value after ripping you off for the full cost of the board.

Basically, owning any recent Mac after the AppleCare has expired is just playing Russian Roulette.

Agreed it really should just be included for a desktop model. Least the replacement if the optical drive eats it is cheaper.

Ouch on that repair man. That is ridiculous. In fairness I think all manufacturers try to pull that BS. Apple of course has the highest margin per repair. :p Should just change the name from Apple to Margins.

Last edited by a moderator:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't think the memory is soldered on, just not easily accessible without tearing down the machine, so upping memory could probably be done after sale. However it won't be a service offered in the Apple store and doing it yourself will void the warranty.

FINALLY! Someone who actually believes this like me. The iMac is not an MBA nor a laptop - so it can stick with the ODD a while longer and should be able to fit a desktop GPU in their too, a desktop HDD (New 21.5'' has a 5200rpm HDD) and UNSOLDERED ram.

FuriousGreg

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
FINALLY! Someone who actually believes this like me. The iMac is not an MBA nor a laptop - so it can stick with the ODD a while longer and should be able to fit a desktop GPU in their too, a desktop HDD (New 21.5'' has a 5200rpm HDD) and UNSOLDERED ram.

I'm just guessing though, they may have gone the soldered way, I just don't think so.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Finally, dropping the optical drive is more about Apple optimising revenue streams via iTunes than evolution. Whilst the ODD maybe nearing the end of it's natural life there are still many outlets that use the media and having to attach an external ODD does somewhat defeat the point of an all-in-one and the iMacs aesthetic.

Apple has said repeatedly on investor calls that its intention with the iTunes ecosystem is to run it at or near break even. Apple doesn't make hardware in order to profit from iTunes, they run iTunes in order to make their hardware more desirable.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
That said I dont mind the DVD drive being external since if it fails just chuck it and buy a new one on the cheap and there ya go.

Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.

I use a DVD player almost every day on my iMac (re-watching Seinfeld), but I use the external instead of the internal. Why? The internal is such a pain in the arse and creates a lot of heat internally.

I've never liked the internal drives. They are prone to malfunction and take up a lot of space.

Externals are really cheap as well. You can pick up a decent one for 30-40 USD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.