Thinner iMac...where's the wafer thin Thunderbolt Display???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LaunchpadBS, Oct 26, 2012.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

OK so they've got the size down of the iMac, cool but what about the thunderbolt display, it's the same size as the iMac now(almost) when are they going to trim some fat off that relative behemoth?

2. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

We might see an updated Thunderbolt display with usb 3.0 (now 2.0) and thinner as well. But probably no sooner than early 2013, as I expect the production of the new iMac will have priority.

3. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

The ultra-thin Thunderbolt Display makes much more sense than the ultra-thin iMac, IMO.

4. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and I forget the obvious like usb etc. There are tv's 1 cm thick, why if we're paying top/middle tier tv prices for a monitor do we have to contend with something so bulky. Also where's the height adjustment, I'm 6'5, I need a monitor I can look straight at, not down.

Hope they get something out soon, it's nearly xmas and I wanna buy myself something pretty :D

5. sdo1982 macrumors member

My money is on Mac Pro + Display redesign with an option (expensive) of close to 4k resolution.

6. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

I'd like it to be adjustable to at least be level with the iMac's panel instead of 2 inches lower. Drives me nuts that my current (also not adjustable) second monitor isn't even with the iMac's screen. If they do release a new display and it isn't adjustable I might get one of those HiRise stands just for the Thunderbolt display.

I'm thinking if they do release them, it will be a completely silent update. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll pop up the day the 27" iMac goes on sale.

7. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Most likely it won't appear until next year, I would guess. If rumors of display issues holding back the iMac unveiling are true, then I would assume all available parts would go toward the 27 iMac. Since that isn't shipping until December, I doubt we'd see anything TBD related before then.

I think what sdo1982 said sounds right: New model released alongside the Mac Pro update in 2013. Although I don't know about the 4k BTO option.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Apple won't be shipping the 27" iMac until year-end and Tim Cook has stated that supplies will be constrained even then.

So sounds like the rumors of Apple having yield problems with mating the 27" LCD with the iMac case are true and this problem would affect the ATD, as well.

So I don't see a new ATD until the 27" iMac production is in full swing and they can fill the channel, allowing them to divert panels to ATD production.

A launch in conjunction with a TB-equipped Mac Pro, as sdo1982 suggested, seems logical to me. With the iPad 4 just launched, Apple needs something to talk about in March. :)