Thinness Doesn't Really Matter.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by klamse25, Sep 1, 2012.

1. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Why does Apple obsess over how thin their products are?
    My iPad is already thin as can be. Who would want it thinner?
    This applies to all Apple products, especially the iPhone and iPad.

Apple should focus on keeping the size the same, but increasing the capacity of the battery. Anyone else agree?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

It's just the trend. The thinner, the lighter and that's what makes them more portable. We are getting to a point where it will stop and you just won't be able to make them any thinner because it will likely effect its durability. This is where the tables will likely turn and more effort will be put into battery and storage capacity.

3. coolguy879 macrumors member

Well, others, like me, like thinner products. Apple's 'i' chain started with the iPod, which was a portable music player. I guess Apple wants to make their iDevices more compact and portable. Personally, when I saw the iPod touch 4G for the first time and noticed that it was thinner than the super thin iPod touch 3G, I figuratively drooled. Apple, in my honest opinion, can obsess on whatever the hell they want to obsess about since Apple is, in my opinion, the best technological company out there (sorry, Microsoft).

4. kaielement macrumors 65816

You know they made "The New iPad" a bit thicker to fit a bigger battery and the 4g antenna..... Even if it was fractional...

5. coolguy879 macrumors member

I know that, sorry for quoting your post if it wasn't meant as a reply to me. And I don't care about negligble changes in thickness, I just don't want to see products get TOO much thicker.

6. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Yeah, why bother making products thinner. The original iPod was fine!

[​IMG]

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

8. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

When Apple first announced the MacBook Air, I thought exactly the same thing.

Why in the world would they spend so much engineering effort on making this thing thinner, when that's probably the least important metric??

Until... I saw it in person. I had to buy one on the spot!!

9. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

The iPad is actually very heavy. Apple should be trying to make it as thin and light as possible.

10. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

...and a cure for that awful thin paper all the kids are pushing on us these days.

[​IMG]

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't suppose that you ever heard of the iMac. It was is all-in-one desktop computer.

12. coolguy879 macrumors member

I know what the ****ing iMac was. I'm just talking about iOS devices here.

13. klamse25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

klamse25

For those people posting pictures of ancient hardware:
    That was from years ago.

The iPhone and ipad are already super thin.
    If they keep making them thinner and thinner, they would easily snap in half.

14. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

The point is that if thinness was never a concern, things would still be as thick as they used to be. Your iPad would be an inch thick and weigh 5 pounds.

15. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I also think that we're at the point where things are small and light enough. I'd rather see a focus on other features.

However, I'm sure that there are some people out there who wish that the products could be even smaller and lighter than they currently are. To varying degrees, Apple is trying to meet everyone's desires. We just have to accept those advancements even if they're not relevant to our interest.

16. terraphantm macrumors 68040

iPod != iOS device...

17. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

No to be a stickler, but iOS actually started with the iPhone.

18. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

I love thin and light! I just wish they would allow thing to be opened up for even more compatibility and function

19. coolguy879 macrumors member

I said 'i' devices. 'i' devices doesn't mean iOS only. I mean 'i' as the prefix before 'Pod' (excluding the iMac).

20. LYFK macrumors regular

Thinness does matter, unfortunately. Neither me nor my back have ever once complained about my devices getting thinner, lighter or more mobile (less moving parts).

And as far a battery life is concerned, I'm much more comfortable with the idea that mobile devices should be much more power efficient over simply having higher capacity.

21. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Whoops, I missed the part where you said iDevices. My bad.

22. aleni macrumors 68020

I believe the goal for ipad and iphone is to be as thin as the current ipod touch. Anything thinner than that is going to be a problem to use.

23. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

How could I forget! It rocks ... yeah :p

24. frosse macrumors 6502a

We all know that Apple products have a certain feel to them; a sturdy and high quality feel. The thinness of future products only becomes a problem when you can't achieve that very feeling. Apple would never release a product that would break in half due to its thinness. So keep going thinner, Apple.

I'd rather have a thinness war than a RAM/MPX/memory specs war.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Apple is positively obsessed with making it's laptops & iDevices thin.

Why build a cool running ultra fast laptop, when you can make it super thin, hot running, and beautiful to stare at?

After all who really uses one as a computer anyway...

Why not take a well functioning iPhone like the 4S and compress it into an even thinner waif like size just to prove a point.

Interestingly, the heavy glass iPhones never are criticized for their weight. But then again it's all about sucking up to Apple these days ...

/sarcasm