thinnest hard case? no shields or films

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nyc4lifedt, Sep 5, 2009.

1. nyc4lifedt macrumors member

I never put my iphone in a case, but currently shopping for one. wear and tear you can't do much about it, but the main reason why I'm buying a case is because of finger prints. 3GS screen deals well with finger prints, but the back is just horrible.

So. Figured putting a case might reduce the finger prints a bit, but i hate the bulk. iPhone is so thin and stylish and putting on a case just reduces the experience. BUT can't deal with finger prints.

What is the thinnest hard case out there? I don't want films/screens. I saw one my friend had, dust gets on the edges, looks horrible. No silicons either, i don't like how it gets stretched and flabby.

I don't need to protect the screen. I usually take care of my phone very well, so I don't need the screen protector. Just a simple back case, as thin as possible and matte.

I looked at SGP case, but wasn't thin enough. Saw Air Jacket at the Apple store, wasn't as good either. Any others for consideration?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I have a marware silicon slip on well two of then. They do not disform and I take mine off more than once a day. They offer resent shock protection too.

3. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Check out the Air Jacket by Power Support. As far as I'm aware, it comes in Black, Clear, and a new Chrome(which won't help the fingerprints, lol).
    It offers the least bulk(imo), that you can get from a hard plastic case.
    My ultimate case though, has to be the Incase Slider.

itsmemorphious gives thorough reviews. :cool:

4. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

The Incipio Feather's the thinnest one that I personally have ever used. Offers nothing in the way of screen protection, but you said that wasn't an issue. I think the AT&T stores and Radio Shack (at least the one near me) carry them in-store if you wanted to see one before you buy.

5. iFerd macrumors 6502a

6. nyc4lifedt thread starter macrumors member

I'll take a look at the feather.
    has anyone used Moshi ones? they look pretty similar.
    anything thinner? nothing adhesive, no sticky stuff.

7. lpnjake macrumors member

this carlos guy is funny.. sounds like he should wear a pink shirt when he says his name

8. lpnjake macrumors member

incipio is the thinnest you will get, the power support is a TAD i mean TAD sticker then incipio. just read the other threads.. there have been around 10 saying incipio is the thinnest

9. Chizzled macrumors member

Wrapsol

I know you said you didnt want skins or films because the corners lift up and catch lint, but serious, Wrapsol is GREAT! I am super anal about that kind of stuff too, and this skin does not budge. No finger prints, no residue along the edges where the skin adheres to the phone. I love it.

I also keep my phone in a Sena Ultra Slim pouch when it is in my pocket, so that might prevent lint and such, but it is a tight squeeze to get inside and the corners have never lifted at all.

I'd give it a shot.

try code "Youtubecontest" if it still works, you will get 50% off.

10. nyc4lifedt thread starter macrumors member

so you put a skin and also put it in a pouch? that's too much for me. I'd rather go naked with the phone. just can't deal with fingerprints on the back. but I'm gonna take a look at the wrapsol. I like the fact that the back part is matte. just worried about the corners and sides picking up dust and lint. that's less attractive than finger prints.

11. lpnjake macrumors member

code doesnt work. someone was selling them on ebay MAD cheap but it seems they are sold out of the iphone model

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I use the Air Jacket and it works great! The beauty of my white iPhone still shines through the clear back and yet it is being protected. I don't use anything on the front screen, as I don't think it is necessary.

13. lpnjake macrumors member

take your air jacket off, bet your bezel is all marked up. if its not then you are either blind or lie.

14. Mangoit macrumors newbie

Mangoit

how about his case

how about this case ,leather shell , its very pop here

Attached Files:

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Wrapsol is what you want. It is finger print proof. Look through this forum and you can see pictures of my phone in Wrapsol. It has an amazing look and texture, protects the back of the phone and will totally eliminate fingerprints and smudges on the back of the phone. Not to mention it's as good as carrying the phone naked as it adds no bulk.

16. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

my incase white slider isnt the smallest out there by no means, but i just feel safer with this one. its also slick so it will fit in my pocket unlike the rubber ones...they never seem to go in jean pockets smoothly.

17. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Agreed. Luckily my chrome was already self-brushed, so I just brushed it again, to get rid of the marks that the Air Jacket made.

18. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Incipio Feather

hey- this case looks nice. I've got a similar case - cheap $6 no name version from HDAccessories. It's pretty thin but only wraps around to the front bust stops right at the chrome bezel. From the the pics posted on their site, it appears that Incipio Feather wraps around to the front a bit more- such that is covers about 1/2 of the chrome? Is that right?

19. nyc4lifedt thread starter macrumors member

I tried a few cases after recommendations:

SGP Ultra Thin Case, Case Mate Barely There, Air Jacket, Incipio Feather, Moshi iGlaze.

1. Casemate Barely There, not a bad case, but kinda wasn't worth it. It's not a total protection yet not a total slim design. This was the thickest of the ones that I've tried.

2. SGP Ultra Thin Case, wasn't as thin as was advertised. I ordered two, one crystal see-through and one with a leather texture. It was thicker than 1/29 of an inch that was advertised. I have one of those slide in dock speakers that is designed to work with a naked iPhone, so I could do non-scientific comparison. This covered the list amount of the chrome bezel, which wasn't an issue with me.

3. Air Jacket was "alright" and it was thin. BUT it solved nothing on the part of finger prints on the back. Probably it was due to the fact that I ordered the see-through version rather than the rubber coated version. Probably would have kept it had I ordered the black version.

Incipio Feather I didn't like at all. It was thin, as other posters in this thread. However, it kinda felt like a cheap plastic that was covering the $200 iPhone. (All of these are cheap plastics, but Incipio Feather made it more feel like it. You know what I mean.)

Moshi iGlaze is the one that I'm going to be keeping for now. It's just as thin as the other ones, texture is matte and rubber coated so it adds more grip. It adds a very little bulk, and I can use it without taking the case off to use it in a universal dock or a slide-in dock speaker. FINALLY no finger prints.

As I get tired of this case, I'm gonna try the Wrapsol in a little bit. My friend had one installed, and he sucked at putting it on. Which I was very turned off by, haha. But I saw the videos on YouTube and some review/pictures and it looks great. I'm gonna give it a shot in a little bit.

20. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Wrapsol Ultra

I just installed a Wrapsol Ultra on my iPhone 3GS, and this thing is awesome! I replaced an iFrogz hard case with it.

The Wrapsol Ultra goes on dry, so you don't have to spray your iPhone down with the solution like the previous Wrapsol and the Invisible Shield. That part really scared me off from using those.

But the installation of this thing was a breeze. Just tack it down on the bottom corners and then smooth it on. It wraps around the edges and corner as well, which is nice. The best part is, you can barely tell it's there unless you look at the corners to see the seams.

I bought it because the back of my phone was a finger print mess, and this cuts that down significantly. I bought the iFrogz case first, but I noticed it was leaving some tiny scratches on the back of my phone. Now it's scratch proof.

They say this is suppose to be drop resistant as well, but I'm not about to test that out.

When I upgrade to the next iPhone, I'm not going to buy it until I have a Wrapsol skin to apply to it directly out of the box.

www.wrapsol.com

21. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That indeed looks promising, especially with the use of dry application.

However, a review posted here doesn't really offer drop resistance very well. So I guess for now I'm stuck with a case (Vulcan) till the next iPhone comes out.