Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Received this case today from eBay. Only cost $2.99 and included a free screen protector. The screen protector is basically identical to the Spigen Crystal, and the case is the same as the Air Skin. Also came with a stylus. Very good grip on the case.

Not bad for $2.99 which includes shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301336544148?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=600346397942&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

picture.php

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Received this case today from eBay. Only cost $2.99 and included a free screen protector. The screen protector is basically identical to the Spigen Crystal, and the case is the same as the Air Skin. Also came with a stylus. Very good grip on the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30133654414...49&var=600346397942&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Awesome deal! On sale for $1.99 right now free shipping. Ordered one. Might order another if it's good.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I got this case in grey and frost. Cheap price, but also cheap plastic, very thin. my grey one was cracked on both l&r sides. Mine were advertised with pix as full coverage, but they came with open bottoms.

I'm using a back shell that has an open top and bottom, but it's high quality, super grippy, and $8, Bear Motion Sand case, -for those that don't mind open cases. I'm still looking for a cheap Full coverage PS or Shumuri knockoff...

BMacUC

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I got this case in grey and frost. Cheap price, but also cheap plastic, very thin. my grey one was cracked on both l&r sides. Mine were advertised with pix as full coverage, but they came with open bottoms.

I'm using a back shell that has an open top and bottom, but it's high quality, super grippy, and $8, Bear Motion Sand case, -for those that don't mind open cases. I'm still looking for a cheap Full coverage PS or Shumuri knockoff...

Can you link your Bear motion case please? Thanks!

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301336544148?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=600346397942&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So this case is not smooth textured similar to the Air Skin? I find my air skin case to be extremely slippery and the pictures of this case look similar. Thanks.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California

Ordered one also just now, we'll see how it goes...

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007

Does it have plastic seams on the edges you can feel? That is the problem with the case I got from eBay. It is identical to the Air Skin in almost every other way, but those seams really started to bug me, and the cutouts around the buttons feel "sharper" as well.

Also, what is the lip like around the screen? Does the case stop where the metal stops or do you feel it when you swipe on and off the screen?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Can you link your Bear motion case please? Thanks!

----------

So this case is not smooth textured similar to the Air Skin? I find my air skin case to be extremely slippery and the pictures of this case look similar. Thanks.

I got the black one, and it has more texture. Not sure about the clear one.

----------

Does it have plastic seams on the edges you can feel? That is the problem with the case I got from eBay. It is identical to the Air Skin in almost every other way, but those seams really started to bug me, and the cutouts around the buttons feel "sharper" as well.

Also, what is the lip like around the screen? Does the case stop where the metal stops or do you feel it when you swipe on and off the screen?

You can feel the edges and there is a very slight lip.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I got the black one, and it has more texture. Not sure about the clear one.

----------

You can feel the edges and there is a very slight lip.

Okay, thanks for the response. Sounds like it's the same as the one I got on eBay. I agree that the Air Skin can feel a little slippery sometimes, but I prefer its smooth texture to the "sandy" sort of texture of the eBay cases. And the plastic seams and sharp cutouts just make it feel really cheap overall. I actually filed down the lip of my Air Skin case, so it's nearly the perfect case for me now. The problem is I slipped in a few areas and scratched the inside of the case while I was filing it, so I might actually order another and be a little smarter about it this time. :rolleyes:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I was able to rub out the mold edges in the grey eBay case, mine came cracked as I said. It has some grip, but nowhere near the bear motion guality and feel, which is a little thicker but still minimal. The eBay ones are almost paper thin. and fragile- good for a temporary need imo, but not serious to cover a $750 precious...looked like they could loosen over time, they are minimal and paper thin, see thru plastic.

I've tried many cases, I have the Ringke fusion, nice too, but adds quite a bit of bumper bulk compared to these, but still less than some of the tank cases, hope that helps,,,

bbchick

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
I have the Incipio Feather on my 6 and it is a really nice case. Full access to all the buttons and ports. It is a firm case but has a rubber like, nonslip touch to it. Also has a slight lip to keep the front from touching the table, should you want to put the phone face down.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I agree about the Spigen air. I received two cases I ordered a month ago and cancelled many times-they sent them anyway. The case is a really tight fit but very slippery with no grip. I returned them.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
except that the Shumuri does not have the screen lip

I found an inexpensive case that has the feel of the Caudabe Veil and does NOT have a screen lip. It's very much like the Shumuri. Very pleased so far. Especially for the price!

Also, the back doesn't have a white square with the "m". It does say "monoprice" in black print. The blue is a nicer blue than the Shumuri (at least to me).

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=112&cp_id=11213&cs_id=1121302&p_id=12224&seq=1&format=2

Attachments

• 122241.jpg
    122241.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 152

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
There are tons of cases like the Monoprice, many $1-2 (with open bottom), but very few like the Shumuri - (very thin with full coverage) that I can find. I think most of the ultrathin chinese cases avoid the Shumuri style due to fragility when so thinly covering the bottom ports..may not be that durable over time.

sabesh

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
These cases are so thin, that they offer no protection against drops and bumps. Hence, coverage of bottom parts isn't an issue. There are 2 logical reasons why one would buy such a case - Better grip for the slippery iPhone 6 & to prevent scratches at the back.

In my case, the Spigen Air Skin doesn't have much of a grip. Hence, I'll be looking for another type of case that's "slim enough".

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Full coverage protects from scratches from objects the phone comes in contact with, bumps against things on tables or in the car. The reason the top or bottom is left open is because of fitment problems, cost to manufacture and fragility of thin plastic with small openings, and easy dock and cable connection.
I'm using one for thinness and grip - the Bear Motion Sand series, it has open bottom and top which I don't like, but the grip, texture and quality is excellent, not like the ebay shells, (I have those too).

Last edited:

BMacUC

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I'm probably in the minority here but I actually want a case that does NOT extend beyond protruding camera lens (it's sapphire) and does NOT extend beyond screen (never set my phone face down), hence why I bought Spigen Air Skin. However, the Air Skin is very slippery so I have been looking for something with grip and came across this case on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-TruGlu...414600553&sr=8-12&keywords=iphone+6+case+slim

Has anyone purchased this case? If so, thoughts?

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
If you're really looking the thinnest case, I currently have the Sojitek LightR on my phone and absolutely love it. its .25mm!! the camera sticks out further than it.

It does not touch the screen at all, so it will not offer screen down protection. the bottom is also open. the clear matte is the same color as the space grey aluminum, and it feels good in the hand.

I only bought it to protect the metal from scratching. Link is below

http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Exte...d=1414620743&sr=8-2&keywords=sojitek+iphone+6

BMacUC

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
If you're really looking the thinnest case, I currently have the Sojitek LightR on my phone and absolutely love it. its .25mm!! the camera sticks out further than it.

It does not touch the screen at all, so it will not offer screen down protection. the bottom is also open. the clear matte is the same color as the space grey aluminum, and it feels good in the hand.

I only bought it to protect the metal from scratching. Link is below

http://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Exte...d=1414620743&sr=8-2&keywords=sojitek+iphone+6

How's the grip? From the pictures and description it looks like it is similar material to the Spigen Air Skin, which provides no additional grip imo. Thanks for the link, I had not seen that case before.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
How's the grip? From the pictures and description it looks like it is similar material to the Spigen Air Skin, which provides no additional grip imo. Thanks for the link, I had not seen that case before.

The grip is not great to be honest. It feels like a hard matte plastic. The case is flexible, however. It doesn't make it any worse, but maybe SLIGHTLY better than w/ no case.

I dont mind it because i hate when glossy cases feel oily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.