Thinnest, lightest option that still offers protection for 2018 iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ssledoux, Apr 16, 2018.

1. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I picked up a 2018 iPad because I’m about to be traveling for 6 weeks and don’t want to bring my 12.9 pro with me. I just feel like I’m gonna have to hold the pad a lot and want something lighter and easier to throw in my purse when I’m in the airport, etc.

I want a case that is as light as possible while still offering some protection.

Any suggestions?

2. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I just ordered this (in Space Gray) for my 2018 iPad. MoKo (as well as Fintie) is my go-to maker of cases for tablets. (I have one for my Mini 4, 12.9 Pro, and will order one for the Fire HD 10 I have arriving in a few days) Minimal, good quality, long lasting, good-looking, and inexpensive.

3. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I hadn’t gotten responses, so I got on Amazon and looked and that is the exact case I ordered. Glad it’s a good one!

4. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

My case(s) arrived yesterday... Space Gray MoKo case for the 2018 iPad and Space Gray case for the Apple Pencil. Each are sold separately. The Pencil case has an elastic loop that wraps around the front cover and easy to remove so if there are times I don't want the Pencil, I can slip the Pencil case off. The Space Gray is far darker in person than it appears in these photos... much closer to the black band of the pencil case.

As is usual with MoKo cases, looks and feels great.

IMG_0600.JPG IMG_0601.JPG

5. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I got mine yesterday, and I realized it’s not the same brand, although it is basically the same case.

Honestly, I’m not sure what I think - can’t decide if I want to have a case with a smart cover, or just a case for the back and a screen protector on the front to just keep it as light as possible, and with the least overall bulk when I’m holding it.

I bought a stand to put it on, and a slim bluetooth keyboard for when I need to do a lot of typing, but when I’m just gonna have it in my lap, or be holding it in my hand, I want it to be as thin and light as possible.

Basically, I’m torn.

So what is it you do with the contact paper? Do you put cases over that, or what? I’m curious.

6. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

What I did with my 12.9 Pro was use a smartcover (or ASK) and just Con-Tact paper on the back. This was my first attempt... worked perfectly for 15 months but I wanted to re-apply it getting closer to the edges... which I was able to do.

The only reason why I went with a MoKo smart case rather than a smart cover is because the MoKo is only $11 and there are no 3rd party smartcovers... only Apple's at $35-40 which is too high IMO. I'll probably give in and get a smart cover and cover the back with Con-Tact paper. The Mr Shield matte screen protector that I used for my wife's Air 2 also fits the 2018 iPad (there were 5 in the package)... looks and feels great.

IMG_0244.jpg

7. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

Though you already got yours, will echo in re: Fintie. Got one for my new iPad and am happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XS9G4W6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not the thinnest, but does not add a lot of bulk, imo, and does provide the extra protection.

For me, I like the extra padding as it makes, oddly, more comfortable to hold with one hand. When in landscape, I rotate the iPad 180 degrees and the cover makes a "handle" that I can hang the tablet off 1-2 fingers. The extra thickness allows for a more relaxed grip on the device.

8. clairmyk macrumors member

clairmyk

I just received my Moko but I'm going to return it because it made my iPad so heavy. I only had a smart cover on before. Anyone have a recommendation for a back-only case that works with a smart cover? Or perhaps I should put like a skin... ):

9. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

An update : I wandered into the local Staples office supply store and they had a 9.7 smart cover on clearance for $9, so I picked it up. (I couldn't do $39, but 9 is a no-brainer :)) Obviously that price and availability is going to vary by store, but the combination of smart cover and contact paper makes it extremely light and thin. (This is what I had with my 12.9 Pro)

The MoKo Pencil sling goes well with it and matches the gray perfectly. I have a wide variety of bluetooth keyboards available that I'll probably take when I need it.

10. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I just got a Smart cover. Before I was just rocking it naked and putting it into a sleeve. The Smart Cover makes the iPad seem heavier. The cover sits up well in my lap. However I know that I will need to prop it against something because its not a flat surface. You could find a used or open box Smart Cover or just prop it up with something