Thinnest / Narrowest / Slimmest Lightning Cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by phobos512, Jan 29, 2016.

1. phobos512 macrumors regular

phobos512

I am trying to find a Lightning cable that is of a smaller diameter (if round) or thinner (if flat) than the <2.5mm diameter of a stock Apple cable.

It seems that everyone wants more durable, thicker, colored, rubberized, fabric covered cables but no one that I can search up makes a very thin round or flat cable. This cable is for a fixed installation (in my car; one end into the dash and the other end into the holder so the cable itself will basically never move) so durability is really only a tertiary concern. All the combinations of search terms I've been trying end up focusing on the size of the connector, which again doesn't matter because I can modify the holder that the cable end will be stuck in, and the case of my phone is open on the bottom (Apple leather case).

The only cable I can even find a listing of diameter on is an Anker cable on Amazon and while it says 2.5mm it's clear from comparison pictures buyers have posted that it's thicker than the Apple cables.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

2. rpetunderclass macrumors regular

the OEM Apple Cable is the closest your gonna get.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah. And the new Spigen lightning cable is made to be the same size connector now. Will fit life proof cases.

4. phobos512 thread starter macrumors regular

phobos512

I don't care about the CONNECTOR. I care about the size of the WIRE.

5. roniphon macrumors member

If you want to have reliable one and do not start searching for the new one every 2 weeks - better to use original one.

6. Kallen macrumors newbie

Kallen

Two issues you should consider with smaller wire:

1) Will be MUCH more susceptible to damage and will likely need to be replaced often, depending on how much you use it of course.

2) It will increase the time it takes to fully charge your iDevice. Because the diameter of the internal wire will be greatly reduced, this will impact the current/voltage pass-through to the device. This might have some impact on data speed, but I am not sure it would be noticeable. Charge rate will def be noticeable though. Longer cable are susceptible to this issue as well.

Good Luck!

7. rulymammoth macrumors member

Never seen this, but can I ask what the purpose is for? Is it purely for aesthetic reasons?