Thinnning down a hard drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hereagain, Jan 25, 2008.

1. hereagain macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm pretty new to mac, I just installed 10.3.9 on a lombard with a 4gb hdd. I did the easy install and there is about 1.5 gb space left. Is there anything I can delete from the system files to free up some space? Extra languages maybe? Thanks for any help.

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Try DeLocalizer (it's freeware). Should shave off some used space due to the massive amounts of localization files Mac OS X installs.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would definitely remove unnecessary languages and printer drivers. Though sometimes the System is a bit buggy after this. If you have not done too much yet I would say to reinstall and do a custom install.

If you feel really brave and are willing to risk it you could start going through your /System/Library/Extensions and start removing unnecessary extensions. Back up the extensions first and be prepared to use Terminal and Safe Mode to fix up something that you will likely bork:eek:. You would need to do this after updating to 10.3.9 as the extensions removed would just be replaced with updated ones.

4. hereagain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I'll try delocalizer. How do I remove the languages? Just delete the folders? Not really sure which ones or where exactly to find them.

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

DeLocalizer will do that for you.

6. hereagain thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your help. And thanks to Mike Bombich for delocalizer. I cleared 781mb. Might not sound like a lot but when you've only got 1.6gb free it is.