Third Bad RMBP Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman14, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I am writing this because when I bought a rMBP 13" back in April, I had to return it the next week due to a greenish/purple tint that flickers across the screen.

At the very beginning of June, I took the replacement to the Apple Store in which they verified a faulty screen. I use this laptop for work, so they agreed rather than fixing it they could just replace it to save me time out of work.

Well today just about two months later, I am having the exact same issue again.

What would you do in this situation. I don't want to keep having to replace the computer over and over.. But also love the computer other than when this happens.

----------

They also even upgraded to the newest rMBP with the one I have now, which had a very slight spec bump.

2. Ichabod. macrumors regular

That's unfortunate. I'm not sure if it will help, but you can check what brand of screen you have with this terminal command:
    Code:
    ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If the response begins with "LP," you have an LG screen (which is the brand that has ghosting/etc. issues).

This isn't really a solution, but at least can provide some more context. Good luck if you decide to return it again.

3. sarthak macrumors 6502

What software are you running on it? Having the same flickering issue on multiple rMBP units indicates that it could be a software issue rather than hardware.

4. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't run much other than office, and quickbooks.

But when taken to the genius bar the other times, they booted into their partition and the problem still occurred.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Will this work on the 13"?? The last I checked on this, terminal code only worked on 15" rMBP's.

6. Ichabod. macrumors regular

It seems to yield a sensical response on my 13" 2008 MB, I presume it would work on his computer as well.

My output:
    Code:
    P .00 6
    B133EW04 V0
    Color LCD

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It works for you since its a 2008 cMBP. I just tried it on my 13" rMBP and it didn't work. I remember reading multiple times on this forum that this terminal code didn't work on 13" rMBP's.

8. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It does not work on 13" Retinas. Apple removed the option.

9. sarthak macrumors 6502

From what I read, this is what has been done so far.

1. Display Replacement
    2. ????
    3. New MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display (with spec bump).

Sounds like it could either be a faulty graphics chipset (questionable as you received a new computer with spec bump) or a software bug in Mountain Lion. Could you upload a video so we can get a better look at what exactly occurs?

10. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Something in your house? Something magnetic? Leaking microwaves? Too close to un shielded speakers?

11. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

magnets affect LCDs as well?:eek:

12. outphase macrumors 65816

Someone should tell the magnetic lid sensor then!

13. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

They don't affect them in the traditional CRT sense, but something strong can be a factor in other ways.

Though, I wasn't trying to be specific with the cause. Just saying that *maybe* something in his house or something he is doing is causing the issue since it seems to happen every time and the same thing each time.