Third dead battery in 6 weeks.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Damon Jones, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Damon Jones macrumors newbie

Got a mid 2012 mac book pro non retina. Mac book just killed a third battery in 6 weeks. Original one died mysteriously would not charge and CPU would bog down due to kernel task operating at 600%. Kernel task would go away once I disconnected the battery. Prior to this I could not even start the book until i reset PRAM and PMC, After restart batt indicator said 100% then upon another restart it said 0%. As soon as I unplug the power cord the book dies which confirms a dead battery I guess. I reconnected the battery to check if would start charging or work again it did not again confirming by disconnecting power cord.. Moreover the kernel task again would consume over 600% CPU so i can't even open any apps so I have to disconnect to operate. These symptoms and eventual failure have now occurred on 3 different batteries from OEM to aftermarket. I feel the only common thread is that the battery killing process seems to occur when trying to to open go pro MP4 video. Not sure its linked. Any help would be appreciated before I shell out for a 4th battery and potentially kill that one as well.

Frustrated
    Damon

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's unlikely that this is an issue with the batteries, but it could be fimware or hardware battery controller or connections etc from the sounds of it.

3. Damon Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Ongoing trouble shooting. Yeah not the battery put the original one in and Reset PMC finally and it is back to working ok. I can only summarise that a bad file was corrupting the PMC somehow. Only a guess. Will try another battery soon
    and see what happens;

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65832

Richdmoore

Never mind, I fail at reading comprehension today.....