Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasphair

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Greetings all,

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 3,1 that's currently on its third battery... and it's going bad. I've had the battery replaced twice this year. This current battery, which I've had now since summer, has 62 loadcycles, and can hold 2922 of the original 5600 mAh. It gets down to about 25% of a charge, and then just shuts off.

So... if I go back to the Genius Bar, I should probably get another battery.. so battery number four. I have AppleCare until October of 2010, however, I'm afraid that if I keep going through bad batteries (or if my laptop is somehow killing them), I'll eventually find myself with a bad battery, and out of AppleCare.

What would be my best course of action at this point? Is it possible the laptop itself (charging mechanism, whatever) could be killing the batteries? I've never heard of someone going through as many batteries as this.

Please advise.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Greetings all,

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 3,1 that's currently on its third battery... and it's going bad. I've had the battery replaced twice this year. This current battery, which I've had now since summer, has 62 loadcycles, and can hold 2922 of the original 5600 mAh. It gets down to about 25% of a charge, and then just shuts off.

So... if I go back to the Genius Bar, I should probably get another battery.. so battery number four. I have AppleCare until October of 2010, however, I'm afraid that if I keep going through bad batteries (or if my laptop is somehow killing them), I'll eventually find myself with a bad battery, and out of AppleCare.

What would be my best course of action at this point? Is it possible the laptop itself (charging mechanism, whatever) could be killing the batteries? I've never heard of someone going through as many batteries as this.

Please advise.

ask if they can replace the logic board also, it my have somthing wrong with the charging circuit.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I was told that they would replace mine after mine at through three batteries that seemed perfectly fine, ended up selling it beforehand - but, there are certain notebooks that seem to love batteries for dinner.

jasphair

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, I'm hoping they replace the whole laptop, but I'm not getting my hopes up. :p

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Hopefully, the next battery resolves your issue. If not, perhaps Apple will realize that the issue is not with the battery and will step up with a permanent fix or a new unit . . . Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.