Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Beats By Dre today unveiled an all-new black-and-yellow version of the Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones, which will be exclusive to Third Man Records. The Third Man Records Limited Edition headphones will cost $329.50 -- which is $30 more expensive than other Solo3 headphones sold by Apple -- and officially go on sale Friday, November 24.

new-beats-solo3-color.jpg

The limited edition #ThirdManBeats #Solo3Wireless are available for presale on https://t.co/VfpppzFO7p now. pic.twitter.com/Nv9IAMB5a5 - Beats By Dre (@beatsbydre) November 16, 2017
For the $30 premium on other Solo3 Headphones, customers who purchase the Third Man Records edition will get a custom carrying case, black-and-yellow 3.5mm braided cable that matches the headphones, and an exclusive flexi-disc featuring The Raconteurs' song "Level." The headphones also feature a few details related to Third Man Records, including the company's logo and stripes on the inside and outside of the headphones, respectively.

Visit the Third Man Store to pre-order the new Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones today.

Article Link: Third Man Records Reveal Exclusive New Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones Launching November 24

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Huh, Neil Young releases on that label. I know he's a big Sennheiser fan.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It is crazy to me that these use micro USB for charging and not Lightning

Some Beats products use Lightning, most don’t. It is mess
Not crazy at all. It's a pretty fair assumption that more Beats are sold to people who have a micro USB device than those with a lightning device. Apple's not stupid. Why would they alienate a huge part of their Beats audience. Besides, Apple's probably going to drop lighting for USB-C in the very near future.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Not crazy at all. It's a pretty fair assumption that more Beats are sold to people who have a micro USB device than those with a lightning device. Apple's not stupid. Why would they alienate a huge part of their Beats audience. Besides, Apple's probably going to drop lighting for USB-C in the very near future.

I agree with everything you said except dropping lightning. Apple makes a lot of money on licensing of the lightning port in the MFi program. I don't see them giving that up.

dcruszkowski

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Now, if only I could plug them into my new iPhone without that stupid dongle. How hard would it be to make a lightning to 3.5mm male cable that worked with the wired Beats headphones. Seems like a no-brainer for folks that own Beats headphones and any of the latest iOS devices.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
It is crazy to me that these use micro USB for charging and not Lightning

Some Beats products use Lightning, most don’t. It is mess

It’s petty but literally one of the reasons I don’t want to invest in the headphones right now. Couldn’t even use a USB-C!

Besides, Apple's probably going to drop lighting for USB-C in the very near future.

On iPhones? I highly doubt that unless “near future” is 10 years from now when another standard comes down the line.

Apple maintains absolute control over Lightning: its licenses, its development, its needed integration for accessories and components. There is no body to consort with and Apple has the ability to wrap any connector/data pipeline, existing today or not, using Lightning.
Plus, Lightning allows them to move that hardware complexity from the device to the cable; that was a big archievement for them. That HW isn’t going back in just to meet USB-Cs various requirements for its various modes.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
On iPhones? I highly doubt that unless “near future” is 10 years from now when another standard comes down the line.

Apple maintains absolute control over Lightning: its licenses, its development, its needed integration for accessories and components. Plus, Lightning allows them to move that hardware complexity from the device to the cable; that was a big archievement for them. That HW isn’t going back in just to meet USB-Cs various requirements for its various modes.
Agree to disagree. 30 pin hung around for approximately 7 years, lightnings been here for 5 so far. I give it maybe another 2 or 3 and I think it's gone. I think Apple, like everyone else, is going to fully embrace USB-C. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I sided with Big Sausage when everyone told me Big Bacon was gonna run the breakfast game.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Agree to disagree. 30 pin hung around for approximately 7 years, lightnings been here for 5 so far. I give it maybe another 2 or 3 and I think it's gone. I think Apple, like everyone else, is going to fully embrace USB-C. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I sided with Big Sausage when everyone told me Big Bacon was gonna run the breakfast game.

My thought is that Apple HAD to replace 30-pin because of its inability to pipe new channels without remapping dedicated lanes (which they did several times in its existence), it’s internal component size, and device HW dependence; such restrictions aren’t there today, or coming for a long while, with Lightning.

If USB-C had been close to being finalized at that point there may have well of been a chance but now they’d be backtracking a lot to implement a new shape; adding back HDMI output from iOS devices directly would require dedicated hardware that hasn’t been seen in an iOS device since the 4s.

I’m just rambling for clarification as to why I think otherwise at this point though, not trying rebuttal you or anyrhing here because like you said, who knows what surprises they’ll have down the line...

Reactions: 69Mustang

udayan81

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2017
I thought we were done with wires in headphones. As per the new innovation dialog by Jony. So why is there another Beats 3 with wires?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
snip ...Apple makes a lot of money on licensing of the lightning port in the MFi program. I don't see them giving that up.

Do they really? I don't see many manufacturers needing an MFi lightning license.
You see various claims made here and elsewhere on the net but somehow the links to back up the claim never seem to make into the post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.