Third Man Records Reveal Exclusive New Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones Launching November 24

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Beats By Dre today unveiled an all-new black-and-yellow version of the Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones, which will be exclusive to Third Man Records. The Third Man Records Limited Edition headphones will cost $329.50 -- which is $30 more expensive than other Solo3 headphones sold by Apple -- and officially go on sale Friday, November 24.

[​IMG]

For the $30 premium on other Solo3 Headphones, customers who purchase the Third Man Records edition will get a custom carrying case, black-and-yellow 3.5mm braided cable that matches the headphones, and an exclusive flexi-disc featuring The Raconteurs' song "Level." The headphones also feature a few details related to Third Man Records, including the company's logo and stripes on the inside and outside of the headphones, respectively.

Visit the Third Man Store to pre-order the new Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones today.

Article Link: Third Man Records Reveal Exclusive New Beats Solo3 Wireless Headphones Launching November 24

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Wow, cool to see a non-pop/hip hop based partnership with Beats/Apple. Sometimes I think they forget about other genres.

4. Red Oak macrumors regular

It is crazy to me that these use micro USB for charging and not Lightning

Some Beats products use Lightning, most don’t. It is mess

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

Huh, Neil Young releases on that label. I know he's a big Sennheiser fan.

6. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Not crazy at all. It's a pretty fair assumption that more Beats are sold to people who have a micro USB device than those with a lightning device. Apple's not stupid. Why would they alienate a huge part of their Beats audience. Besides, Apple's probably going to drop lighting for USB-C in the very near future.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Ha! That was my thought as well.

8. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I agree with everything you said except dropping lightning. Apple makes a lot of money on licensing of the lightning port in the MFi program. I don't see them giving that up.

9. dcruszkowski macrumors newbie

Now, if only I could plug them into my new iPhone without that stupid dongle. How hard would it be to make a lightning to 3.5mm male cable that worked with the wired Beats headphones. Seems like a no-brainer for folks that own Beats headphones and any of the latest iOS devices.

10. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Do they really? I don't see many manufacturers needing an MFi lightning license.

11. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

"...which will be exclusive to Third Man Records."

Who? Never heard of them. I like the color combo, though.

12. lunarworks macrumors 65816

13. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

14. jamface macrumors regular

jamface

Oh god who cares if it's a 'mess'? You have both cables don't you?

Some people!

15. Mascots, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

It’s petty but literally one of the reasons I don’t want to invest in the headphones right now. Couldn’t even use a USB-C!

On iPhones? I highly doubt that unless “near future” is 10 years from now when another standard comes down the line.

Apple maintains absolute control over Lightning: its licenses, its development, its needed integration for accessories and components. There is no body to consort with and Apple has the ability to wrap any connector/data pipeline, existing today or not, using Lightning.
    Plus, Lightning allows them to move that hardware complexity from the device to the cable; that was a big archievement for them. That HW isn’t going back in just to meet USB-Cs various requirements for its various modes.

16. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Agree to disagree. 30 pin hung around for approximately 7 years, lightnings been here for 5 so far. I give it maybe another 2 or 3 and I think it's gone. I think Apple, like everyone else, is going to fully embrace USB-C. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. I sided with Big Sausage when everyone told me Big Bacon was gonna run the breakfast game.

17. JGIGS macrumors 6502a

JGIGS

18. theelysium Suspended

theelysium

Apple Radio forgets other genres too!!!!

19. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

You really don’t know who Jack White or The White Stripes are...?

20. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

My thought is that Apple HAD to replace 30-pin because of its inability to pipe new channels without remapping dedicated lanes (which they did several times in its existence), it’s internal component size, and device HW dependence; such restrictions aren’t there today, or coming for a long while, with Lightning.

If USB-C had been close to being finalized at that point there may have well of been a chance but now they’d be backtracking a lot to implement a new shape; adding back HDMI output from iOS devices directly would require dedicated hardware that hasn’t been seen in an iOS device since the 4s.

I’m just rambling for clarification as to why I think otherwise at this point though, not trying rebuttal you or anyrhing here because like you said, who knows what surprises they’ll have down the line...

21. udayan81 macrumors regular

I thought we were done with wires in headphones. As per the new innovation dialog by Jony. So why is there another Beats 3 with wires?

22. lunarworks macrumors 65816

You'd be surprised by how many people stop listening to new music once they're out of high school.

23. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You see various claims made here and elsewhere on the net but somehow the links to back up the claim never seem to make into the post.

24. willnpc macrumors member

willnpc

Be brave there's better out there for less money... #courage