Third Party App icons on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mbrown5, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mbrown5 macrumors newbie

So not a big deal but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that when apps with icons not yet designed to take advantage of the iPhone 4's retina display (Pandora for example) are updated, the app icon momentarily appears to have been updated to appear sharp and with no pixelation, like any other app icon that has been updated for the iPhone 4's display. However as soon as the update is complete and the loading bar disappears, so does the sharp looking icon. Instead it goes back to the fuzzy old one. Why is this? Is it a preview of what's to become of the icon in the future or is my phone failing to retain the new icon's "retina look"?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's because when the item is downloading it is dimmed and looks sharper because the backlight doesn't affect it as much.

3. mbrown5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think that's it. When I updated Pabdora there was definitely a change to the icon as a whole. The 'P' looked longer and slightly skinnier. Nothing like the current icon.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

I can't relate to your experience. When an icon updates for me, it stays sharp.

When Pandora was updated tonight, it gave me a sharp iOS4 icon.

5. mbrown5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops. Actually Pandora is no longer a good example. However apps like Trenches and MemoryBlock did the same thing an they're still fuzzy.